Not Engaged Yet
Options

Love languages

Do you know yours?

I am listening to the 5 Love Languages audiobook now and I'm thinking mine is Words of Affrimation. I really love to hear what people like about me. And I am extremely rocked by criticism. I even think it often pushes me down, and makes me not want to try anymore. The challenge is figuring out H's love language. I think it is Quality Time.

Here is a one question quiz... which doesn't get at much of anything for me. But it gives you the idea if you don't know what the heck I am talking about :)http://www.5lovelanguages.com/assessments/30-second-quizzes/love/

Re: Love languages

• Options
    I got "Words of Affirmation" : Actions don’t always speak louder than words. If this is your love language, unsolicited compliments mean the world to you. Hearing the words, “I love you,” are important–hearing the reasons behind that love sends your spirits skyward. Insults can leave you shattered and are not easily forgotten.

This actually describes me to a T. 

• Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2012
    I've taken the longer quiz before. I was pretty much  tied with quality time and physical touch. I'm not sure what BF's is but I would guess probably quality time as well or maybe words of affirmation.

• Options
    I'll have to take the quiz later I can access here at work, but I can't click on anything.  Bummer...

Anniversary

• Options
    Physical Touch

This language isn’t all about the bedroom. A person whose primary language is Physical Touch is, not surprisingly, very touchy. Hugs, pats on the back, holding hands, and thoughtful touches on the arm, shoulder, or face–they can all be ways to show excitement, concern, care, and love. Physical presence and accessibility are crucial, while neglect or abuse can be unforgivable and destructive.

This is basically me.  I'm definitely a snuggler.

I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Acts of Service

Can vacuuming the floors really be an expression of love? Absolutely! Anything you do to ease the burden of responsibilities weighing on an “Acts of Service” person will speak volumes. The words he or she most want to hear: “Let me do that for you.” Laziness, broken commitments, and making more work for them tell speakers of this language their feelings don’t matter.

This is very much me. I take on the weight of the world -and i tend to have my world shattered when others don't follow through on things like this...
  • Options
    After reading the book, mine is Words of Affirmation. 
    "You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." -Ray Bradbury 
  • Options
    I have the book on my nook I really should read it.  But the mini quiz gave me physical touch.  Which I believe, I feel most loved when Danish Man hugs or kisses me out of the blue.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_love-languages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:544de2cd-4d70-44b9-a015-1c6010d1ce62Post:3bf8496c-63bb-49f8-9b18-7b4d72e61c87">Re: Love languages</a>:
    [QUOTE]Acts of Service Can vacuuming the floors really be an expression of love? Absolutely! Anything you do to ease the burden of responsibilities weighing on an “Acts of Service” person will speak volumes. The words he or she most want to hear: “Let me do that for you.” Laziness, broken commitments, and making more work for them tell speakers of this language their feelings don’t matter. This is very much me. I take on the weight of the world -and i tend to have my world shattered when others don't follow through on things like this...
    Posted by IrishDreamer[/QUOTE]

I got this too. And it's totally me. I always feel responsible for the dirty house, piles of laundry, and sinkfull of dishes. It means so much to me with FI helps out!
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    I took the long quiz as a 17 yr old and got physical touch and words of affirmation. I'd say as I got older, it's definitely changed and I'm much more Acts of Service than anything, and my secondary is probably quality time. It's funny how that changed. 
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options

I've done this before, too, and I'm pretty sure mine is Receiving Gifts.  I kind of hate admitting that, because it makes me feel materialistic, but I love getting tokens from loved ones.  Even small things, like when H randomly showed up at my office last week just to give me some 'just because' flowers...  it just makes my day.  In the same vein, I love giving gifts for others.  I've been that way since I was really young. 

H is an Acts of Service guy.  If I fold his laundry or back his car into the drive so he doesn't have to back out in the morning or I make him a cup of coffee before he gets out of bed, he'll be in a good mood for hours.

• Options
    Accurate! I'm 
    Words of Affirmation

Actions don’t always speak louder than words. If this is your love language, unsolicited compliments mean the world to you. Hearing the words, “I love you,” are important–hearing the reasons behind that love sends your spirits skyward. Insults can leave you shattered and are not easily forgotten.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_love-languages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:544de2cd-4d70-44b9-a015-1c6010d1ce62Post:f522095f-0a9b-4706-8804-83d8bacd39ad">Re: Love languages</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've done this before, too, and I'm pretty sure mine is Receiving Gifts.  I kind of hate admitting that, because it makes me feel materialistic, but I love getting tokens from loved ones.  Even small things, like when H randomly showed up at my office last week just to give me some 'just because' flowers...  it just makes my day.  In the same vein, I love giving gifts for others.  I've been that way since I was really young.  H is an Acts of Service guy. <strong> If I fold his laundry or back his car into the drive so he doesn't have to back out in the morning or I make him a cup of coffee before he gets out of bed, he'll be in a good mood for hours.</strong>
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Now I'm really excited we're going to get married. You're going to make the best wife evar.

</div>
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_love-languages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:544de2cd-4d70-44b9-a015-1c6010d1ce62Post:a41c282e-0f1c-4092-a5b3-05b492c7bc3e">Re: Love languages</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Love languages : Now I'm really excited we're going to get married. You're going to make the best wife evar.
    Posted by audrewuh[/QUOTE]

You're a lucky lady.  Don't forget it.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I was word of Affirmation too!

Anniversary

• Options
    I have a tie between Quality time and Touch.  My friends used to think I was gay because I was so touchy feely.  Though ever since I found that out I am much less so with people in General.  
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_love-languages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:544de2cd-4d70-44b9-a015-1c6010d1ce62Post:62e99698-1ee9-4aec-8d2b-0df892172d91">Re: Love languages</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a tie between Quality time and Touch.  My friends used to think I was gay because I was so touchy feely.  Though ever since I found that out I am much less so with people in General.  
    Posted by ravenray[/QUOTE]

Aw! I took the full quiz for wives last night and it said I was Touch then Words of Affirmation. I think that is funny because I'm notorious for not being touchable. I used to hate hugs and would never touch my friends. Since growing up a bit, I'm more physical and will initiate hugs with friends more often than not. But my physical contact with people is usually limited to H. So maybe that works, as a wife touching is most important because it is not how I show love to other people.
  • Options

This is a great book!  I read it a few years ago, and I'm split evenly between Words of Affirmation and Physical touch.  What's funny is that I see the value and appreciate all the forms of love here, especially the Acts of Service part.  Nothing says 'I love you!' like scooping the cat poos. 

FI is a near-match to me with Words and Touch.  Makes it nice because we both appreciate the same things. 

Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    I'm almost right down the middle between Words of Affirmation and Physical Touch. DH is Acts of Service. Occasionally, when we're out of sorts with each other, we'll remind each other of that... because he tries to 'do things' for me, like get stuff done around the house, while I give him hugs and tell him how much I love him. Basically we need to swtich that around. I need to empty the dishwasher and he needs to snuggle with me on the couch and then we're happy campers.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    tuarceathatuarceatha member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_love-languages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:544de2cd-4d70-44b9-a015-1c6010d1ce62Post:0970154a-a00b-4b1b-abe2-af1f3af961ee">Re: Love languages</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm almost right down the middle between Words of Affirmation and Physical Touch. DH is Acts of Service. Occasionally, when we're out of sorts with each other, we'll remind each other of that... because he tries to 'do things' for me, like get stuff done around the house, while I give him hugs and tell him how much I love him. Basically we need to swtich that around. I need to empty the dishwasher and he needs to snuggle with me on the couch and then we're happy campers.
    Posted by cu97tiger[/QUOTE]

Ha I think H thinks mine are gifts, acts of service, and physical touch. That is definitely what he does to show his love. I just want snuggle and talk. Talk, talk, talk. When the book described the Dead Sea and Babbling Brook dating relationship I was like "THAT WAS US!"  He just always wants to be there and I just always want to tell him each and every thing I thought of that day, right then and when and why I thought of it, and who thought of it with me, and how that relates to something else, and so on... ;)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_love-languages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:544de2cd-4d70-44b9-a015-1c6010d1ce62Post:fc7de9f4-9e42-40f6-9d01-ce8e6ca0b9e7">Re: Love languages</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Love languages : Ha I think H thinks mine are gifts, acts of service, and physical touch. That is definitely what he does to show his love. I just want snuggle and talk. Talk, talk, talk. When the book described the Dead Sea and Babbling Brook dating relationship I was like "THAT WAS US!"  He just always wants to be there and<strong> I just always want to tell him each and every thing I thought of that day, right then and when and why I thought of it, and who thought of it with me, and how that relates to something else, and so on</strong>... ;)
    Posted by jenjenniferf[/QUOTE]

<div>That is hilarious... we are twins. And we will exhaust ourselves talking to each other. I think our DHs will be thrilled.</div>

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_love-languages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:544de2cd-4d70-44b9-a015-1c6010d1ce62Post:d7e8fc97-9aad-4396-8980-b53693296856">Re: Love languages</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Love languages : That is hilarious... we are twins. A<strong>nd we will exhaust ourselves talking to each other. </strong>I think our DHs will be thrilled.

Perrrfect! Are you a fast talker? I'm told I talk really fast, but it is only so I can fit everything in before I lose my listener's interest!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_love-languages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:544de2cd-4d70-44b9-a015-1c6010d1ce62Post:019417f6-bd88-4b5e-9ae7-5f85fa16a892">Re: Love languages</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Love languages : Perrrfect! Are you a fast talker? I'm told I talk really fast, but it is only so I can fit everything in before I lose my listener's interest!

<div>
    </div><div>I'm from NY, so of course I'm a fast talker :)</div>

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_love-languages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:544de2cd-4d70-44b9-a015-1c6010d1ce62Post:edc069c0-428a-4784-b8e5-431c628676d9">Re: Love languages</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Love languages : I'm from NY, so of course I'm a fast talker :)

Is it December yet???
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_love-languages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:544de2cd-4d70-44b9-a015-1c6010d1ce62Post:3c7784ec-72af-48dc-817f-4e799d0ee187">Re: Love languages</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Love languages : Is it December yet???

<div>ALMOST!!! I have 14 working days left. In my estimation, we will be there in 36 days :)</div>

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards