Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Ethnic Foods

We want a buffet for our reception with 4 different "ethnic" food stations...  We have not picked a venue yet for the reception as we have a few things to look for in a location still and one of them is in regards to the foods.  Do most places have caterers that are well versed in serving foods from different countries or do I need to find a separate caterer than what may be supplied by a venue.  We do want to save as much money as possible and are considering asking family to help (family is already helping with the cake and favours) but would it be tacky asking family who will be guests to make our meal selections?  We want 3-4 different options at each station..  Cool

Re: Ethnic Foods

• A few things:

1. If you plan to have food prepared by non-professional/licensed people, make sure whatever venue and caterer you choose is ok with that. 

2. I wouldn't ask family to do more than they offer. 

3. Post on your local board (on the left) for suggestions about specific caterers and venues.

4. If you want the option to bring in your own caterer, make sure your venue allows this if they have on-site catering. 
  • ditto Jessica.

Personally I do not think most caterers are verse in serving different foods from different countries or not at least good at it.   I find most caterers specialize in certain types of foods.    That does not mean you can't still find one, I just think it's something you need to do a lot of research on.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Around here, it's easy to find a caterer that could do Mexican, Chinese, American, and Continental food, for example. They wouldn't be cheap, though. In other regions, it'd be hard. My parents still laugh at how their wedding caterer basically served chicken liver soup because he'd never made chopped liver before. Dad had insisted on it.

I've been to a few weddings where family catered. At both, the family didn't get to interact with guests. They were stuck in the kitchen. Some people prefer that, but only you know your family.

It really sounds to me like you need to adjust your expectations to your budget.
  • I guess it depends on the ethnic food itself; many people can make a pretty decent Mexican dish, but if you're trying to replicate traditional Indian or Moroccan fare, you're better off with a professional.

Also, be sure that your family can cook for the number of people you are having; my mom can cook a pretty huge meal but she's never tackled cooking for 150 people before.

Is there a culinary school nearby? They may have an idea...
    Vacation White Knot
  • Try www.CreativeFoodsCatering.com Ethnic food as well as International Flavors
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards