Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

What season to get married?

My fiance and I are going back and forth between spring and winter for the wedding.  We were originally going with an early spring possibly outdoor wedding, but then I thought of winter (early December).  I love the Christmas season and thought it would be a great time (places are cheaper etc.)  But I just am not sure about the possible cold weather and where to hold a winter wedding.  Any advice??
Anniversary

Re: What season to get married?

• Options
    I wanted mine in the beginning of December but FI was against it :(.  I wanted christmas trees and snow in the pictures and Christmas music playing during dinner, but with Central NY weather it was hard to count on.  I think a winter wedding would be beautiful! 
  • Options
    If you are inside the cold weather shouldn't be a problem. What does your FI prefer? I would pick a couple dates in each season and see which one works best for everyone. One thing to consider about having a wedding around a holiday is that travel is more expensive for guests and they may have plans that they do every year (of course that all depends on how close it is to the holiday).

• Options
    if you like the winter weather then there's lots of cute themes, favors, centerpieces you can choose. Check out winterweddingideas.org for ideas.

The thing with December, it's a popular travel month, you would need to send your guests save the dates pretty early so they can make plans, request vacation time at work, etc....
  • Options
    MaereMaere member
    First Comment

I would consider how many of your guests would be able to come during the winter season as opposed to the spring, that might help you pick the date you want =)

Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    i'm a big fan of spring weddings, myself! :)
  • Options
    Everybody does spring!  I LOVE the idea of a winter wedding.  It would have been my first choice!
  • Options
    I couldn't even do my engagement party in December, because everyone is so booked with holiday parties, etc.  That would be my only consideration...
  • Options
    Everyone is bringing up the key factor of "December is a busy month".  While yes, a wedding is a much bigger celebration than the yearly Christmas party - weddings are expensive and having Christmas the same month is a huge financial hit to anyone coming to the wedding.

Just keep your guests in mind in terms of planning.

While winter weddings can be beautiful - - spring is an easier season to work around.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    My mother got married in December, and while it was wonderful for the wedding, it's been a big stress that their anniversary is always right around Christmas. It's something to keep in mind that you'll be connected with Christmas (and all the extra stresses/commitments/expenses) for the rest of your life. While that can be a joyful reason to get married in December, it can also be a pain down the road.
  • Options
    Have you considered January or February? It's right after the holidays and people migth be less busy. We are having a Summer wedding, but I kind of wish we were going with a winter one! Everything is less expensive because it's not wedding season and you can have a very beautiful winter themed reception!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Another thing to consider is the condition of roads in the winter, depending on where the wedding is located. I'm from Illinois, so winter roads are terrible. I would never want a winter wedding here, since there would be such a high chance that a) the roads would be too bad for guests to make it or b) they would try to make it if the roads weren't TOO terrible but still risk getting in an accident.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the input!  We are thinking the very first weekend of December, so it wouldn't be too close to the holiday, and we would send save the dates early in the year. Weather won't be too bad (we live in Central, PA) and it doesn't get super cold or snow at all until January usually.  I've always dreamed of a winter wonderland wedding.  And my FI doesn't really care one way or the other.  But it all really comes down to price in the end.  Everyone was so thankful!!  Thanks again, and best of luck in your own planning!!Smile
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards