Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Professional album - worth it?

So photography has me stressed out!  I have narrowed our search down to two photographers that offer different options for albums.  An album from the photographer is a must for us.  One photographer offers a 10x10 20 page leather cover album, the second option is basically limitless go pick what cover you want/size and any number of pages.  I just don't know if it is worth it to pay the extra $1k to have the ability to fully customize the album. 

How often do you look back on your album?  If you upgraded was it worth it?  I realize this is completely a personal preference but wanted to get others experiences.  I don't want to spend the extra money if other brides have found their albums just collect dust.  TIA!

Re: Professional album - worth it?

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love my album.  I don't look at it a ton but I love knowing it is there if I want to.

Just FYI, I made a beautiful album for my husband's parents using somersetalbums.com.  I have a review in my bio with pictures.  For $413 I made a 34 page album that was comparable to the one we got from our professional photographer.  So this is definitely an option for you.
  • RIFallBrideRIFallBride member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow that's beautiful.  It was super helpful to see the comparison to your professional album.  Thank you!

Part of me doesn't want the pressure of designing it myself, I also appreciate the creativeness and experience of the two photographers we are considering.  The price though can't be beat for what you did.
  • 3Design3Design member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    As a wedding photographer I going to just straight up tell you it isn't about the album it is about weither the photographer can produce the picture you want and if you like him/her. Think about it they will be hanging around you the entire day! Can the make you laugh and relaxed or are they going to stress you out? Like Stephiehall said she made her own album and it looks great. What won't look great is a bunch of picture you don't even want to make into an album. 
  • RIFallBrideRIFallBride member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks 3 Design, I totally agree which is why I'm leaning towards the higher cost photographer.  I just clicked with her and love, love her work.  I guess now that it's time I am a bit gun shy (happens every time I go to book a vendor) with the costs.  You are absolutely right!
  • edited December 2011
    20 years from now, that upgraded album will be priceless to you. You'll regret cheaping out years from now if you choose to go that way, imho. 
  • edited December 2011
    Albums are hard to choose, for sure.  I completely agree with 3Design that the most important thing is personality and how you click.  But when deciding on albums, it comes down to a personal preference.  My company offers both types that you are referring to, both have a lifetime warranty.  If you ask me, I would be ordering the less expensive, more simple one because I like how clean and simple it is.  But some of my brides want to have that elegant feel.
    Basically this- first and foremost, do you like them on a personal level?  Secondly, when you picture yourself looking at an album twenty years from now, is it sleek and simple or super fancy?  My advice is to never let the price guide your decisions, go with what you really want.

-Evan
    www.csephotography.com
  • KbensonKbenson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It might be best to ask to see album examples because the way an album is designed can easily be worth an extra 1k. Most photographers don't know much about graphic design but using the right fonts, texts, page layout, etc. can take the ablum from being a good album to an outstanding album. I spend far more time editing and building an album than I do shooting a wedding. The way an album is laid out tells the story of the day. Granted I have a backgound in photo editing for magazines but it should be the same way.

Best of luck!
    Kate
    www.republicoflove.org to see my wedding photography, www.katebenson.com to see my commercial photography.
  • HaveAGoodDayHaveAGoodDay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would say that professional Photography is very important.  These days, get the photography you want.  If you end up with it as a CD/DVD of images, you can have a beautiful, professional album made from those images. 

The album can be an "after" item.  The photos cannot.

If you end up with images and no album, look at We Design Albums.com.  They do the work for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards