California-Los Angeles

Boudoir

Hey Gals!

Okay so this is a bit uncomfortable for me, but these forums are the only place where I won't feel judged for doing a boudoir bc either you've considered it or also doing it for your hubby to be too!

I am trying to gauge what's more worth the cost:

1. use my wedding photogs who are discounting me A LOT for the session, but only going to let me print one photo and frame it. This would be the gift I'd give my FI on the day of the wedding. On our year anniversary or after the honeymoon, then I can pay and get an album created. I will not get the high res photos on a disc. but they have a house that belongs to one of their moms but has extra rooms where we can do the shoot.

2. go with another photog that charges average ($400-$500) for the session and they give you a disc of whatever amount (depending on photog, but the one I like would give me 75 edited images).  These photogs do not have a studio or place to do the shoot.

So bottom line - should I pay less and sacrifice never having the photos unless I purchase an album OR do I pay more to get the dvd of the images?

Also - would you get your makeup and hair done or DIY?

Thanks!!!!!

Re: Boudoir

• edited December 2011

Honestly I would pay more and get the CD so you can all the images and do what you want with them.  I don't think I could pick just ONE picture - and I don't think I would want to pay soooo much for a really nice album.  I would want to have the pictures on CD and make my own album on my publisher - they come out GREAT as well - but it is not a coffee table book.  But I didn't want a coffee table book of my bpics anyway because it isn't going to be shown to anyone but him.

I think it was worth all the money.  I shot at a hotel and had 5 different outfits - now I do have my favorites but I couldn't choose just one.

GL

My Planning Bio - updated 4/19/10
    Our Wedding Teasers
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    243 invited image 170 Said YES image 45 Can't party US image 28 Haven't heard from image Invitations sent out on 4/6/10 - Our RSVP date is 5/15/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I would def pay more and get the CD of the images. It's definitely way more worth it so you can do whatever creative things you want with your pics to surprise your hubby to be!
    I went thru Felicia Perry Photog for my boudoir and using her for my wedding day as well. She did an excellent job and I think I paid around $300 for mine with a CD. I was insanely impressed! You should definitely check her out :)
    feliciaperryphotography.com
  • edited December 2011
    I must agree with Dawn on this one...

I had like 200 images...it was sooooooo HARD to narrow it to 50. Once I get the disc I plan to make an album on shutterfly I get a lot f coupons via email.

Is your heart set on this photographer? I believe I paid $250 but I booked last year and I DIY'ed my hair and make up. So that's also a way to save $.

Have you tried getting prices from other photographers?

Nataly Lemus, Ashleigh Taylor and Jordana from Hazelnut Photography are knottie favs.

Maybe try giving them a buzz!

HTH and GL!
  • RachA03RachA03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

PHEW! I am feeling a great wave of relief. I thought I was the only one that thought it was crazy not to give me the pictures! And yes I've contacted Jordana from Hazelnut photography but she's $425. I just need somewhere to do the shoot bc I don't want to do it at my house.  I will check out the rest!

Thanks girls!!!

You have no idea how frustrated I am because my wedding photogs wont even give us our e-sesion photos on a disc! I even OFFERED to PAY!!!!! =(

xxquemirasxx - doing your own makeup and hair...did it turn out ok? I mean in terms of lighting and such?

dawnbeatty - if you do it on publisher...where did you take it to get printed? I've never created an album so I have no idea what to do. Were you embarrassed having other companies seeing your pictures?

Thanks again and again!!!

• edited December 2011
    I did photos with Jordana and it was fantastic. I just gave my husband the CD so he could go through the pics himself and choose which ones he liked. LOL We did an outdoorsy-shoot which my husband really appreciated (we are outdoor-sy people!)
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely get a disc! That is crazy that anyone would not offer that option!

I got mine done with Jordana at Hazelnut, too, but since I had my wedding booked with her, too, I did get a discount. I booked a hotel room for the shoot, but it was def worth it!!
  • RachA03RachA03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I know...I don't know why they don't offer. It's CRAZY!

Anyway, I'll look into all of these options and see which one has the best offers. All of their work is awesome!
  • edited December 2011
    DIYing my hair and make-up turned out awesome. I wanted my hair curly so all I did was wash my hair the night before and then in the morning of my shoot I set in hot curls and left them for about an hour.... I think my hair turned out pretty nice.

As for my make-up...I knew I wanted a smokey eye...I have taken some classes at MAC make-up before and well I do practice and have had  my mistakes before the shoot. But when Ashleigh walked into the room she was like "you did your own make-up, it looks like a PRO did it" so don't under estimate yourself.  I would practice and maybe if you are having an afternoon shoot you could go to the MAC make-up counter n have it done there. I believe if you spend $50 they'll do your make-up.

There are options and I know things can get pricey but at the end its sooo worth it!

As for the mypushlisher album you create it yourself on your computer and then when you agree thats the way you want it you pay for it and then mypublisher will print it for you and have it mailed to your door. 

I hope that was helpful Laughing
  • edited December 2011
    I got my makeup done at the MAC counter and was so glad I did! I had to buy $50 worth of products, but that is not hard! And I'd rather do that and have something to show for the money, rather than just pay to have it done. I just  bought the lipliner, lipstick, and powder that I used to touch up my wedding makeup. If I was good at doing my own makeup I may have tried that, but I'm not. So it was the right choice for me!

As for hair, I just planned to get a regular haircut that morning. I needed one anyway, and my hair always looks better when my stylist does it! I told her I was diong pictures that afternoon so she put something in it to hold up better, but I didn't pay anything extra for her to "do" my hair, just the haircut fee.
  • RachA03RachA03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input on the makeup and hair. I was considering just getting it done only because I wouldn't want my photos to come out ugly. =(

But yea, I was thinking of either going to the MAC store, or Smashbox counter at Nordstroms, OR Sephora (they have makeup artists there that will do your makeup for a special occasion if you put $50 down, but they give you a gift card...so same idea but you have more options in terms of products). However, I'm not sure how good they are.

But thanks guyss! I'm getting more and more excited! I need to get working out and buying some outfits!
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry I didn't get back sooner but xxquemirasxx got it right.  It is really easy.  you can set up the pictures however you want and put them in whatever order.  You can preview your album throughout and see if you like how it looks.  It is a lot of fun but can be time consuming if you want your pictures to flow.  'Whoever you decide to use definitely sign up with them because you will get a ton of coupons. 
    My Planning Bio - updated 4/19/10
    Our Wedding Teasers
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    243 invited image 170 Said YES image 45 Can't party US image 28 Haven't heard from image Invitations sent out on 4/6/10 - Our RSVP date is 5/15/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • chiweeweechiweewee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did mine with Jordana also.

I did have my hair and makeup done because my hair is impossible to deal with and I just don't wear makeup enough anymore to do it how I wanted it. My makeup artist came with us so she could do touch-ups and help out. It was the best decision ever!

Have you thought about doing it outdoors to save money on a location? I wanted the beach setting anyways but I was also trying to save money so I shot at El Matador State Beach in Malibu. It was great!

Good luck with your shoot!
  • RachA03RachA03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who was your makeup artist? Did she also do your hair? I do prefer the hotel option..found some options that are less than 150...but you're right - to save money...doing the beach or outside would be good too! I'm still trying to decide on location.  I ended up finding a photographer that a friend of mine used....and she's giving me her family special rates. So I'm getting a lot for about $450. 

Thanks so MUCH guys!

If any of you have any other ideas on location or makeup artists that are good, suggest away! 

Thanks again!! <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards