Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Returning items without receipts or knowing where they were purchased

I received some truly heinous gifts at my bridal shower and would love to return or sell them, but don't know where they were purchased.  Does anyone know of a website or store that accepts well known brands without receipts?  For example, I have a Lenox cake plate and 2 Lenox cake knives.  I already tried replacements.com and they won't take them.  Thanks! 

Re: Returning items without receipts or knowing where they were purchased

• Options
    lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    I've been told by some friends that Bed Bath and Beyond will literally accept any return, whether it was bought there or not - and even if it's been used.  Wouldn't hurt to try 
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think BB&B may have changed their return policy but I know Kohl's will take anything they sell without a receipt.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Did you try returning them to the stores where you're registered?  Often it seems that if you have a registry with them and they sell the item stores are inclined to bend their return policies.
  • Options
    Thanks, guys.  Yes, I've tried returning them to BB&B and Macy's (where we are registered) and neither will take them.  Kohl's doesn't sell them, but that's good to know!  Also checked Walmart & Target, and I may have a shot with Sears... I'll let you know!  Thanks :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_returning-items-without-receipts-or-knowing-where-they-were-purchased?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:6c917dac-0904-4f1a-a8bf-f4a3f4e6da27Post:46259c71-f467-41e2-bef5-6b9d4018cff4">Re: Returning items without receipts or knowing where they were purchased</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, guys.  Yes, I've tried returning them to BB&B and Macy's (where we are registered) and <strong>neither will take them</strong>.  Kohl's doesn't sell them, but that's good to know!  Also checked Walmart & Target, and I may have a shot with Sears... I'll let you know!  Thanks :)
    Posted by ag2035[/QUOTE]

<div>Do they sell the items?  If they do I'd try again - go to the registry people directly and ask to exchange for somethign on your registry.  </div>
  • Options
    Try to figure out the official names of the items (e.g., waterford padova teapot) and use google to figure out where they are sold. Those places will be most likely to give you an exchange.
  • Options
    Do you have a smartphone? I had a friend tell me they used the barcode scanner app to find where a lot of the items were purchased at. They were able to return alot of stuff because of it.
  • Options
    If you go to Macy's and ask the bridal person directly, they will do a return without proof of purchase which will get you the lowest price it's been in the last 180 days, as long as it's something that's sold by them.  This is usually done for non-brides as well.
  • Options
    Nordstrom is awesome about returns... try them.

But I second the person who mentioned the barcode scanner.  You could also enter the SKU you see on the item. Find where they sell them really and try returning there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards