Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

courthouse wedding and major honeymoon

Hi everyone,

So my fiance and I were possibly thinking about doing a small courthouse wedding and restaurant reception with a really big honeymoon.  We have been together for about 6 years and I feel like we just want to go out and explore the world rather than have a large wedding.  I feel that the courthouse wedding is still going to be memorable with our family members, but I do have some reservations.  If anyone has been to a courthouse wedding, Is it in any way "awkward", like is it something that we should just do with us two, or is it normal to have a small group with you?  Also is it worth it to hire a photographer? 

I basically just want to hear others ideas and opinions about the whole idea, because I might just be crazy! lol

Thanks everyone!

Re: courthouse wedding and major honeymoon

• Options
    My best friend got married at city hall in NYC. I think there were about a dozen of us with them. She wore a new suit and carried flowers; he also wore a new suit and had a bout. There were several other people getting married there; some had small groups of people with them, others didn't.

Afterwards we all went out together to a nearby restaurant/bar (this is going back a while -- it was in the World Trade Center) and we all sat together in one of those "cozy" lounge area type things with sofas and some chairs around some small tables. They paid for drinks and hors d'oeuvres for the group. The ceremony was in the afternoon and I think we spent a few hours at the restaurant before we all went our separate ways.

The whole thing was very low-key, but nice, and very much "them."
  • Options
    Honestly, if I could do it all over again I would opt for a small intimate wedding.  Just immediate family and very close friends.  Then with all the money we'd save could be put towards a house.  

If you go this route I think you should hire a photographer.  Just because you're opting for a court house wedding doesn't make it any less special than a big 300+ person wedding.  You'll still want pictures of the day you and your husband said your vows.  And no, I don't think it would be awkward to have a small group of people to witness your vows.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Having spent most of my career in courthouses, I have seen many courthouse weddings.  I have seen a few with just the bride and groom present but I've seen many that included family and friends.  Like PP said, every courthouse has different rules so check and make sure there is not a limit on witnesses but it is not uncommon to have an entourage.

And depending on where you live there may be some beautiful old courthouses you can have the ceremony performed in.  I have travelled all across Illinois and have seen some breathtaking architecture at some of the old courthouses.  Just make sure you get your marriage license in the county where you decide to get married!
  • Options
    I think it's a lovely idea!  A photographer would be essential for me.

Look at these lovely courthouse weddings:

http://ruffledblog.com/tag/courthouse/
  • Options
    Do what you are comfortable with. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a small courthouse wedding. If you want close friends and family with you, I would invite them. You might regret not doing so if you are on the fence about it.

I would also definitely hire a photographer, maybe for the ceremony, as well as some pics before or after of you and the groom outside or in a pretty area, just like if you were having a big wedding. I would still want my wedding day captured in pictures to look at for years to come. You could probably get one very affordably if you only need them for a few hours and especially if you are doing it on a non-Saturday.
    (I might even check into not booking them for a wedding package, since you won't need them for the whole day, and see if you could just book them hourly or like you would for a family photo session).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    You could also have a JOP come out to the restaurant where you would like to have your reception and he/she can marry you there.  And everything would be all in the same place.  And if you go this route, if you have a private room at the restaurant, you could probably decorate it to your liking.  While some courtrooms are lovely, not all of them are!  And I would also hire a photographer.

It can depend on where you are, but currently in NJ, certain public officials can marry you in the town you are getting married in, just like a judge can.  So this could be another route to look into.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards