Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Simple buffet foods? Need ideas

One of my good friends works as a server at a restaurant, and the head cook at the restaurant has offered to do my catering for cost of the food plus hourly wage for him and another cook which is huge in cutting down my catering bill!

We'll be doing a simple buffet style meal, and I'm looking for some suggestions on what we can serve that will be low cost, easy to make and serve buffet-style but still delicious
We will have vegetarians at the wedding so need to have at least one vegetarian option for the main dish

Thx in advance for any suggestions :)

Re: Simple buffet foods? Need ideas

• Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

Congrats on your engagement, and welcome to the Knot!

I'd talk to the head cook, who probably has some idea of costs. Generally chicken is your cheapest option for a meat, served with some sort of sauce (lemon garlic, white wine, etc). Most chefs take boneless chicken breasts, pound them into thinner proportions, then cut each breast into 4-5 pieces so a guest can take less than an entire breast, saving on costs.

Choose a vegetable that is in season for your wedding, something everyone likes (green beans, corn, carrots, etc), and a potato or starch that goes with the meat, a generalized type of salad with a couple of dressings, rolls & butter.

Our veggie dish is pasta with a non-meat sauce.

• Options
    edited December 2011

What kind of restaurant? A pasta buffet would be simple and delicious.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto PPs on a pasta dish, and you could make it your vegetarian dish if you serve with a non meat sauce.
  • Options
    Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Macaroni and Cheese 
    Eggplant Parmesan
    Penne in Peanut Sauce with Peas, Red Peppers and Julienne Carrots
    Lemon Linguini

• Options
    ebleezebleez member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having a pasta bar, with add-ins such as tomatos, olives, bacon. That way, people can pick and choose what they want, without being restricted to one type of pasta dish. And it's really simple to prepare ahead of time.
  • Options
    doeie04doeie04 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am doing a buffet type for food too and I never thought of pasta!! Thanks ladies!! My idea was to have those electric roasting pans (quite a few that we borrow) and have things like mashed potatoes, baked beans, bbq chicken and maybe prime rib. And then the usual veggies and rolls, etc. Have them all lined up on tables. I want the food homemade, so I think this idea will work out well. The only doubt I have is what if the roasting pans don't have a warming option? I still have to look into that.... What do you guys think? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    rockangel80rockangel80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the pasta buffet idea, and there are some large cookers with that warm setting on them, also another idea would be is to get some of those "camp" warmers that they put under the aluminum pans to keep the stuff warm.
      My sister got married in 2008 and our family put our heads together and came up with and awesome array of food, from kid friendly finger foods to a ton of "Party" eats.
      I plan on my reception basically turning out to be like a big party, now just to plan it with only 6 months! Lol! Good luck girl!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards