Ohio-Columbus
Options

Bridal Shop Alterations

Hey ladies, I know everybody pretty much recommends the ladies that work out of their homes but has anyone had an experience taking their dress to get altered to a shop that they did not buy the dress from? If so, who did you use? I'm just thinking I could go to a shop for my alterations and possibly get my veil and accessories there too. Thanks!

Re: Bridal Shop Alterations

• Options
    sep72fendrsep72fendr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know of any "shops" that do alterations and have accesories except for maybe Alan Ray Bridal. The reason so many of us recommend the ladies that work out of their home is because they ARE the best that you will find in Columbus. You can't get better referrals anywhere else than on here. Don't be afraid to contact the ladies that work out of their homes (like the Lindas or Monica) in order to get estimates first before taking it to a place that does alterations and has accesories. Sometimes you will get better deals with the home ladies because they don't have to pay overhead so they can keep their prices down. You can still go to a bunch of the dress places around Columbus and look for accessories without having to buy your dress there! I know BigRock LittleRooster, Bella Laccio, Wendy's, Alan Ray, La June Mariee, Trumpington and Girls in White Dresses all sell veils and other sorts of accesories. Also, I know that Flowers on Orchard Lane has jewelry and you can also check out some of the neat vintage places in the Short North for other fun accessories too!

HTH!
    I iz not Bridezilla.imageI iz Veloceraptor!

FOR SALE!!.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Your seamstress may also be able to make your veil.  I went with an at-homer (Monica). I didn't want to buy my accessories from a bridal shop...I think they're overpriced.  I bought some of my jewelry at Macys, and some online.  I bought my veil online. And, Monica put cups into my dress so I didn't have to worry about a longline bra (and, I don't have small boobs, so I was impressed when I was actually able to dance around with just the cups in and it was comfy and held the girls in).
    I know that doesn't really answer your question, but I wanted to offer some other suggestions.

FYI: I don't think most bridal shops will allow you to bring in a dress that isn't from their store to get altered.
  • Options
    csh96csh96 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought my dress from Alan Ray and got the alterations done there.  He was quick and did an excellent job.  He also makes veils so he can do something custom or basic.
    image &nbsp ? image
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    skuhmanskuhman member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought my dress in chicago and have called around,NO dress shops will alter if you don't buy there. I am looking into home stuff or alteration shops but the problem with those is they dont "specialize" in bridal gowns.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Monica Gwaltey specializes in bridal gowns.  She did mine and I believe Sep's as well.  Let us know if you need her contact info! She was fantabulous!!
  • Options
    MOB4459MOB4459 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am looking for someone for alterations/re-attachment of some beading in the Delaware County area.  Any suggestions?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Linda Hine does an amazing job, and she works out of her home in Lewis Center. She altered my dress and my dress was covered in beaded lace. She had to remove and re-sew pieces of the dress and she kept the beading perfect. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards