September 2012 Weddings
Options

I'm married! ADVICE!!

So before I AW myself and PIP the crap outa this board...thought I would share my bits of advice for the upcoming September brides!

Don't be the last to get your hair and makeup done. I waited around all day, and went an hour and a half behind schedule...my photographer wanted to strangle my hair dresser...but oh well!

But this factor alone through ALL the photography off. And I was so over taking pictures during my reception, that I by-passed all the "Must Do" pics I had in mind. So this is my one regret. Yes we still took a million pictures, and yes they will still be awesome, there were still a couple cute or funny ones I was really looking forward to taking.

More: If you don't have a photobooth, GET ONE! living social and groupon always have deals so you can get them cheap. Get lots of props, and put it right next to the bar. I did all these things, and it was fantastic!!

Even more: people are gonna ppull you right and left, and you will apologize and tell them you'll be right back but you have to talk to your grandmother, or that uncle, or find your mom...but just stop, and talk to them, cuz there were about 10 people that I told that to and never ended up being able to talk to them. So even if it's a wave, smile, or eye contact...do it!

And this isn't so much advice as it is a, just be prepared, sort of tid-bit:

people are going to step on your dress, all night. Dancing, hugging, pictures, just walking around...my dress is DEEEEEstrOOOOYYYYYed....but I don't care. I snapped at my groom one time, and then just thoguht...it's over...so it doesn't matter anymore!

And last, you think you don't want kids at your wedding...that they ruin the dancing...but honestly the kids at mine were like dancing props...they had fun...and everyone had fun throwing them on their shoulders and twirling them and tickling!

Relax and enjoy! And for god's sake- GET A PHOTOBOOTH!

Re: I'm married! ADVICE!!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_im-married-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:3a127b3f-fa43-4e75-b01b-82773039fd07Post:55527cfe-6d3b-4228-afd2-9ba6ebf42f59">I'm married! ADVICE!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't be the last to get your hair and makeup done. I waited around all day, and went an hour and a half behind schedule...my photographer wanted to strangle my hair dresser...but oh well! But this factor alone through ALL the photography off. And I was so over taking pictures during my reception, that I by-passed all the "Must Do" pics I had in mind. So this is my one regret. Yes we still took a million pictures, and yes they will still be awesome, there were still a couple cute or funny ones I was really looking forward to taking. More: If you don't have a photobooth, GET ONE! living social and groupon always have deals so you can get them cheap. Get lots of props, and put it right next to the bar. I did all these things, and it was fantastic!! Posted by scurtis07[/QUOTE]

Ditto both of these! I was also the last to get my hair and makeup done and it left me RUSHING to get ready. I didn't even have a moment to look in the mirror and take a breath. Definitely try to avoid being the last to get ready!

I also had a photobooth and our guests loved it! The photobook we received with the pictures at the end of the night also made a great keepsake. Hillarious to see everyone's photos!

Congrats scurtis07, you gave great advice!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    congrats!!!!!! thats sooo exciting! I'm so happy for you! Smile
    Visit The Knot! White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 217 Invited...
    image 166 Got their boots on!
    image 49 Missin' out.
    image 2 are makin' us mailbox stalk!
    RSVP Date: September 1
  • Options
    Congrats both of you! Can't wait to see pics!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_im-married-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:3a127b3f-fa43-4e75-b01b-82773039fd07Post:f67bb66d-cfeb-4328-b66b-7c63dd0ce49f">Re: I'm married! ADVICE!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to I'm married! ADVICE!! : Ditto both of these! I was also the last to get my hair and makeup done and it left me RUSHING to get ready. I didn't even have a moment to look in the mirror and take a breath. Definitely try to avoid being the last to get ready! I also had a photobooth and our guests loved it! The photobook we received with the pictures at the end of the night also made a great keepsake. Hillarious to see everyone's photos! Congrats scurtis07, you gave great advice!
    Posted by Laur110[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>OMG the photobooth pictures made my life! I also didn't get a chance to look in the mirror. Until I finally went to the bathroom...and was like... "oh, ok, I do look good!" lol

</div>
  • Options
    I had the opposite experience - getting ready last was great!  But that's probably because I had no bridesmaids, just my Mom and my brother's girlfriend getting ready with me.  I think if you have more people, or if someone is inclined to be super picky, it could be bad.  For me, it meant I minimized photographer & videographer time on the front end and maximized it during the reception.

I totally agree - people will step on your dress.  Get a good bustle that pulls it as close to off the ground as possible!  Mine still had a small train and was held by one teeny string and it got ripped when someone stepped on it.  Luckily my brother's girlfriend is a rockstar, dove under my dress with safety pins, and fixed that sucker so it wasn't going anywhere, was just at the edge of the ground, and still looked awesome.  No one stepped on it again!

Anniversary

• Options
    I just had a discussion with my photographer about getting ready first vs. last. She advised that I go last because she's not getting there until around the time I get ready so if I went first, I would have no getting ready pictures. And if I went first and made her get there early, then I would have to pay extra to get her to stay through the ceremony because she's only booked for 9 or 10 hours.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice :) I am feeling even better about doing the 'reception dress' idea after reading about your dress.... I think I would have freaked at people if my mother's dress was being stepped on! Lol
  • Options
    And this isn't so much advice as it is a, just be prepared, sort of tid-bit: people are going to step on your dress, all night. Dancing, hugging, pictures, just walking around...my dress is DEEEEEstrOOOOYYYYYed....but I don't care. I snapped at my groom one time, and then just thoguht...it's over...so it doesn't matter anymore!

My dress is totally destroyed !!! everyone and there mother stepped on it...I just didnt care. I literally had a hole in my dress because it ripped by the bow detail. Oh well there is a hole and I am never wearing the dress again and I had the time of my life destroying it !!
    Future Mrs.Ford Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    AlanCWaldenAlanCWalden member
    First Comment
    edited September 2012
    First and foremost! Congrats both of you! can we see more pic?...
  • Options
    Thanks, and I will never understand the "kid" thing... why wouldn't someone want children at a wedding?... I can't imagine... children are the light of the world.  I wish we had more children at my wedding.  Thanks for the tips :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards