Outdoor Weddings
Options

Tent Freakout

Our reception venue is fairly new and is run by some very nice old men who are trying to break into the wedding business. We fully understand that we aren't going to get the advice, direction, thoroughness etc of a professional wedding venue but the place is unique enough that it is worth it to us.

The venue has three tents that they own, one 40x60 and two 20x30s. They are telling us that is is possible to have a nice sit down dinner with all 240 guests at round tables without anyone feeling like an outsider from the "main" tent.

I'm too nervous that this is just the honest opinion of nice older man, not necessarily what a bride would be picturing.

They did say that the 20x30 tents are about a foot shorter than the big tent. And that they can be set up close to eachother (even though I still don't have a clear understanding of how b/c the ropes and stakes need a 10 ft clearance on each tent).

I'm worried about people in the furthest small tent feeling isolated. I'm worried about people having enough room to be comfortable at round tables + a head table, DJ table and dance floor. I'm worried about people trying to go from tent to tent if it happens to rain.

When I read the tent size suggestions for number of guests on various sites online it looks like the math should work but they never say what kind of tables their estimates are using. You can always fit way more people in with banquet tables - which I don't want.

I tried a few interactive table-layout sites and I don't see how this is going to work.

Any opinions??

Re: Tent Freakout

• Options

First, are your 240 guests a definite?  Meaning, do you have 240 confirmed guests?  They say that only about 70% of your invites actually come to the wedding/reception and then sometimes, not all of them show up, which personally I find extremely rude.  I mean, if you are rsvp'ing yes then you should be there, unless there is a major emergency of course.  The final count will really help in deciding if you will actually need all 3 tents. 

If you do in fact need 3 tents, is there a way to stage them in a triangle instead of a long row so that they are closer together?  That may help with your guests in the last tent not feel so idolated.  As far as the rain goes, I am also having a white tented reception and well, if it rains it rains.  Just go with it and laugh it off, at that point there is nothing more you can do.  I know, I know, no bride wants rain on there wedding day, however, many say rain on your wedding day is a sign of longer partnership in life.  Hopefully your guests will have the "fun" spirit in them as well to just go along with it.

As far as your tables,  I do know that a 6ft round table will hold 10 guests comfortably.  My bff recently got married and she had 10 per table and there was more than enough room for everyone.  I know you dont seem to be a fan of the banquet tables, however, if placed correctly it can turn out quite beautifully. 

Have you looked at other tented reception pics from previous brides for ideas on table setup?  I would recommend looking at some pics of the tent and table setup once complete and maybe that will help in your decision.

Regardless of what you decide, Im sure it will be a beautiful day for you and your sweetie!  Just take a deep breath and it WILL all work out for you!  If you have any other questions, concerns or just plain need to vent, feel free to contact me at anytime.

Happy Planning!
    Charlene

• Options
    We had 2 20X30 tents on either side of a 20x40 tent and set up against a tall overhang (we were at a private cabin and it's really hard to explain). But basically, the tents were all different sizes and we were in the middle one. You couldn't even tell they were different sizes and it didn't even matter where people sat because once we were done eating, everyone moved around talking to others.

I say don't even worry about it. People shouldn't feel like outsiders at all.
  • Options
    That makes me feel better. Thanks! :)

Our guest list is currently 270-something so 240 was my safety guess. Unfortuntately, it's kind of hard to explain but in the very best place to have the tents there is no way to arrange them other than 20x30 - 20x30-40x60 in a straight line.

I fully get the whole "if it rains it rains" thing. I've accepted this once I decided on an ourdoor reception. My only concern is if a guest is seated in the far small tent, they won't be able to get to the "main" tent with the dancing and bar without getting poured on. And I really just don't think that's fair to them.

Our tables are 5ft so we've been planning 8ppl at each. I have a feeling that I'll have to end up doing banquet tables around the permiter or something but FMIL really doesn't want me to.

Seshat411, how many people were you able to accomodate under those tents?
  • Options
    110 or so. But we had space that wasn't used, so probably 30 more would have easily fit.

I'm not sure I understand why they would get wet in the far tent. Are the tents not pushed up together?
  • Options
    Round verses rectangle, I am having a tent, and if it didn't cost so much more to have the long tables brought in, instead of round I would. Go look as some of the newer web sites, Martha Steward has many pictures of long tables and I think they look amazing, also makes seating esier, if you do a few long tables no one feels they got stuck at the {"boring table"
    Good luck with your venue
  • Options
    We are actually doing an 80x40 ft tent for 240 people, but we have a huge dance floor in the middle that we don't want to be moving table on and off of.... if that makes sense. However, we are also having two extra tents for the bar area and for the catering tent...

As for worrying about the rain... don't! Go with the flow and just enjoy your day. Everyone one else will follow your lead.  I completely agree with PP on that one. Also, I know you don't like rectangle tables but you might want to look into them because they might help fit more people if need be...

Here is an outline of our plans for our September outdoor wedding. Hope it helps...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards