Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Help!! How should I inform guests that there is an alternative to a card box or wishing well?

I would like to carry a satin la borsa (or money purse) at my wedding this summer. IMHO, card boxes at a smaller wedding are inpersonable and also a big target for theft. How can I inform my guest that there will be no card box or wishing well and that cards can be given to the bride or groom? Should it go in the wedding program or on the wedding website? Thanks for your advise!!

Re: Help!! How should I inform guests that there is an alternative to a card box or wishing well?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_help-how-should-i-inform-guests-that-of-the-alternative-card-box?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:91fb1efc-424d-4ada-8618-1f9491219ed0Post:beffdf2a-823f-448c-93db-aaa0ced769e1">Help!! How should I inform guests that there is an alternative to a card box or wishing well?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would like to carry a satin la borsa (or money purse) at my wedding this summer. IMHO, card boxes at a smaller wedding are inpersonable and also a big target for theft. How can I inform my guest that there will be no card box or wishing well and that cards can be given to the bride or groom? Should it go in the wedding program or on the wedding website? Thanks for your advise!!
    Posted by PerkyBurkeyToBe[/QUOTE]

Is this purse normal in your culture?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_help-how-should-i-inform-guests-that-of-the-alternative-card-box?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:91fb1efc-424d-4ada-8618-1f9491219ed0Post:beffdf2a-823f-448c-93db-aaa0ced769e1">Help!! How should I inform guests that there is an alternative to a card box or wishing well?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would like to carry a satin la borsa (or money purse) at my wedding this summer. IMHO, card boxes at a smaller wedding are inpersonable and also a big target for theft. How can I inform my guest that there will be no card box or wishing well and that cards can be given to the bride or groom? Should it go in the wedding program or on the wedding website? Thanks for your advise!!

Why on earth would you want to carry all of this around all night?  The only time I have seen this was in the first Godfather movie.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    LOL  - GLB

You do not need to inform the guests.  They will get it when they do not see the card box or wishing well.  They will also get it when they see others hand you an envelope and you put it in the purse you are carrying.   

It's not really rocket science.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    i haven't seen one of those in about 20 years. tacky. unless it's common in your culture (and it is in some) skip it.

put the card box some place central.

imo-those bags (to a guest) are rude as hell. why not just stick your hand out.

use the box. or a birdcage. or let your guests hand you teh card and then you put them somewhere.

• Options

In my opinion, any sort of announcement about this would come across as gift grabby.  Like, BTW if you want to give us a gift you can just hand it to us.  I know that's not your intention, but that's how many people will take it.  It's just not polite to mention gifts of any kind.

Most couples that I know choose to have their venue security (if applicable) or someone else designated to keep an eye on the card box.  If you think about it, people usually just drop their cards off when they enter the reception, so you could just lock the card box up in the car after the first hour or so.  That should take care of your theft concerns. 

As for them being impersonal, I'm not sure that I understand how.  You will still have a receiving line or table visits with your guests to greet each of them personally, at which time many of them will congratulate you and give you some well wishes.  The card box is just a central location that makes it easy on you and your guests (so that neither of you are messing with holding on to the card all night.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else. 

OP, a small point:  a card box is completely different than a wishing well. A card box is simply a spot where people can put the cards they get you (which often times might include a cash gift or check).  It's definitely not a solicitation for gifts.  It's just a place to put gifts that someone gives without being prompted.

A wishing well is a very rude thing to do. It's a place where the bride and groom essentially solicit additional cash gifts.  Not cool.   An announcement about your little purse seems to fit more into this category.   Simply having a purse where you put cards that people come up and give you without being prompted is fine if you think it's more secure than having guests put cards in a box.  Just don't make an announcement about it.
  • Options
    Agree with PPs.  Card boxes can be done simply.  A friend who had a very small (40ish person) wedding had a box more similar to the size of a recipe box for cards.  You could use a small hat box or another item that isn't the size of a typical wedding card box. 
    Anniversary

• Options
    I'm purchasing this card box for my wedding. It locks! And can also be re-used in the future.

Anniversary
  • Options
    So it's just a purse? I was planning to carry a clutch to hold any cards that we may get. I'm not buying or making a card box.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards