Snarky Brides

2011: The year nothing happened

So over the last couple of weeks all the news stations have done their big year end wrap-ups. Most of them touted 2011 as a crazy news year. I just came across this piece and found it to be very interesting. 

CN: One historian explains why 2011 was the year of nothing really happening. I don't at all agree with all of his summations but I think it's really interesting when you read all the "big news" events decribed in this manner. I think he has a point in some respects....

thoughts?

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
my book shelf:
Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)

Re: 2011: The year nothing happened

• I cant say I agree with the guy at all. He seems like a miserable cynic to me.
  • Wtf?  I don't agree with this guy at all.
    panther
  • oh he's totally a miserable cynic. I really thought of 2011 as a really busy year but I think his bottom line about the lack of overall change was really interesting. We had all these attempts at reform, all these major debt issues and the Arab Spring- and how much is really different? I think that part was very very interesting.

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • I read that article and then thought "wow a lot has happened this year!)

• I don't agree. Plenty of stuff happened.

And side note. I read an article on Yahoo I think that was listing the top 10 stories of the year, or somethng like that. On that list was the amoeba infection that killed my cousin and 4 or 5 others earlier in the year. It wasn't a big deal in respect to other stories, but it was in the science field, I guess, since I know state agencies did a lot of testing and inspections nationwide as a result.
  • He must have forgotten about all of the natural disasters
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Also, I agree with him about the debates and the 2012 election
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_2011-year-nothing-happened?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:8d6766ac-a3a2-4659-88ec-0c05b343c6b6Post:b1881ca7-a025-437d-bd6e-eb9d96b1399d">Re: 2011: The year nothing happened</a>:
    [QUOTE]He must have forgotten about all of the natural disasters
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

VA had an earthquake. That is quality news right there! Shiit was scary (shut up west coasters)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_2011-year-nothing-happened?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:8d6766ac-a3a2-4659-88ec-0c05b343c6b6Post:03e890c8-6b91-48ec-93d7-812f73970554">Re: 2011: The year nothing happened</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011: The year nothing happened : VA had an earthquake. That is quality news right there! Shiit was scary (shut up west coasters)
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

There was training in my building (Harrisburg, PA) the day of the earthquake, and a lot of people from our CA offices were there. They agreed that it was a very valid earthquake, and were rather annoyed that they can't escape them, even halfway across the country!
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I totally think a lot happened this year, large and small. Things that changed the lives and mindsets of entire nations, whether he thinks so or not is irrelevant. While some things may not have been "immediately" accomplished, that doesnt mean that it hasnt started a change for the future.

I dont like that guy.
  • Yeah I don't agree with him either.  While things haven't drastically "changed" for a lot of the world, there was still plenty that happened that we will look back in 10 years and go "holy crap, I remember that!"
  • Yeah, that guy sounds really unhappy. The way he described the royal wedding? Ouch. He came across kind of high-and-mighty to me.

Steve Jobs should probably make any year end list. I agree, natural disasters too. A lot happened.

Photobucket
  • I think that when he says nothing happened of not "for a historian like me." really sums up his point. He sounds like a cynical, pompous doucherbag who likes to use really obscure words to make himself seem more overinflated.

I think his arguements are interesting.....and I kind of get what he is saying about sustainable changes .....I don't really like it, or agree.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards