Jewish Weddings
Options

Stressed and Need Advice

My fiancee and I are having a destination wedding in San Juan, Puerto Rico (we live in NYC). We booked the hotel, vendors and ordered our invitations with the ceremony starting at 5:30. I have no idea why we didn't think of this, but we totally did not realize that sundown in Puerto Rico is not until 7:00. We contacted one rabbi that said he would not marry us before sundown. Do you think there is any rabbi that would marry us before sundown or is it a lost cause. We are reform and not particularly religious. 

Thanks in advance.

Re: Stressed and Need Advice

• Options
    RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    some very liberal rabbis might do it, it may be hard to find someone who will travel to PR and marry you before sundown on shabbat though.  could you maybe keep the start time at 5:30 but have the cocktail hour first, before the chuppah?
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    stephanie1212stephanie1212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was actually talking to my fiancee about maybe doing the cocktail hour first if we cant find a rabbi to marry us before sundown. Thanks!
  • Options
    tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to reform weddings where the rabbi will start somewhat before sundown, but I have no idea, of course, if you can find one in PR who will do that, or how much before. Rachiemoo's idea would definitely work. Or reprint the invitations, but I'm sure that's not your first choice of options!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If its a destination wedding, everyone will already be there right? And you should know ahead of time who is going from who booked with the travel agent and the number of people should be small. So can't you just call all the guests who are coming and say "Hey, we have the wrong time, the ceremony will be at 7 instead of 5:30." I mean, its a destination wedding so its not like people won't already be there. They just have more time to lay on the beach that day.
    Anniversary image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_stressed-need-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:399Discussion:c53761cc-88b4-4239-8d9f-ebaf297ee495Post:8d49d607-69d9-4ea7-b61a-3c2faa6f7039">Re: Stressed and Need Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]If its a destination wedding, everyone will already be there right? And you should know ahead of time who is going from who booked with the travel agent and the number of people should be small. So can't you just call all the guests who are coming and say "Hey, we have the wrong time, the ceremony will be at 7 instead of 5:30." I mean, its a destination wedding so its not like people won't already be there. They just have more time to lay on the beach that day.
    Posted by MrsMLRB[/QUOTE]

Agreed. If you're going to provide little welcome baskets for your guests, I would add a nice handwritten note on cute stationary that says, "Thank you for coming to our special day! Please be advised that the ceremony will now be starting at 7 instead of 5:30; sorry for the inconvenience!" Or something to that effect.

But the idea of doing cocktail hour first is also great!

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • Options
    becunning2becunning2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a fan of the cocktail hour, but I do also think you need to let people know of the time change.  I think a cute note is a fabulous idea!  Maybe it can be something like:

We Jews start the party when the sun goes down.  Back home, the party would've started at 5:30, but here in sunny Puerto Rico, we'll raise the chuppah at 7:00 instead!  Please join us for cocktails while we wait for sunset.

...or something like that.
  • Options
    stephanie1212stephanie1212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the great ideas. I think the note is such a cute idea!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_stressed-need-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:c53761cc-88b4-4239-8d9f-ebaf297ee495Post:7d3b505c-9744-48cb-b342-4f97160f871c">Re: Stressed and Need Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a fan of the cocktail hour, but I do also think you need to let people know of the time change.  I think a cute note is a fabulous idea!  Maybe it can be something like: We Jews start the party when the sun goes down.  Back home, the party would've started at 5:30, but here in sunny Puerto Rico, we'll raise the chuppah at 7:00 instead!  Please join us for cocktails while we wait for sunset. ...or something like that.
    Posted by becunning2[/QUOTE]

Perfect! And if you don't do cocktails before, the note would work without the last part. Sunset would be a gorgeous time for formal photos, so cocktails first might work out to benefit you in many ways!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There are Rabbis out there that will marry you on a Saturday day. It's just a matter of research. I don't think your problem will be finding one to marry you before sunday - I think the problem will be finding one to go to PR to marry you.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think there is a Jewish community in Puerto Rico. If I remember correctly, in Rio Piedras. How far away is that from where you will be? Can you  reach out to the reform community there and askif a rabbi there will marry you earlier?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    rabbimichaelrabbimichael member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good evening Stephanie,
    I am Rabbi Michael Raab. I officiate weddings all over the world. I live in Naples Florida and will be happy to talk to you regarding your wedding.
    Rabbimr13@aol.com or 239-404-7298

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards