June 2013 Weddings

bridesmaid dress material

So I don't plan on doing any dress shopping until this spring/summer but I've been thinking about the BM's dresses... I originally wanted them long and formal but now that the wedding is in June, I'm debating if I should go short (it could potentially get pretty hot in STL!)... I know I want the material to be shiny to get the look I'm going for with the champagne color, but which material would be the most "breathable" if I decided to go long?
June 2013~Venue
imageWedding Countdown Ticker
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: bridesmaid dress material

• Here's a quick breakdown of some of your options:
    Chiffon: Lightweight, not shiny though. However, it's popular for long dresses because it lays nice.
    Cotton Sateen: Breathable, shiny finish. Downsides: It's usually only used for short dresses because of the way it holds a shape, and it wrinkles easily.
    Polyester satin: Lightweight, shiny finish, not breathable at all.
    Regular satin: More expensive, shiny finish, lays very nice on long dresses. Heavy and not very breathable.
    Crepe: You can find this with a subtle shiny finish. It's lightweight, but usually made from polyester, so it's not going to breathe like cotton.
    Most fabrics used for bridesmaids dresses are synthetic, and none of them are very breathable, so you might be better off picking a fabric that's nice and light, instead of looking for breathability. Good luck!!

• sfischer87
    Sorry this is a little off topic, but I just noticed your venue in the signature. I just inquired about a wedding there the day after yours. They were booked so I won't be having mine there, but I wanted to share the coincidence with you.

You're right about the St. Louis heat, especially if the abnormally warm weather around here keeps up. I'm going with shorter dresses for my girls. I think they would kill me if I didn't. I think Emily gave you a pretty good breakdown of fabric options. I would definitely consider short dresses since your wedding is outdoors.
    June 2013 May Challenge: The Dress
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_bridesmaid-dress-material?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:5e1af07a-3559-407f-a65d-ac07e72d2ad9Post:1caabcac-f2a8-49fa-be35-e89badb68fb6">Re: bridesmaid dress material</a>:
    [QUOTE]sfischer87 Sorry this is a little off topic, but I just noticed your venue in the signature. I just inquired about a wedding there the day after yours. They were booked so I won't be having mine there, but I wanted to share the coincidence with you. You're right about the St. Louis heat, especially if the abnormally warm weather around here keeps up. I'm going with shorter dresses for my girls. I think they would kill me if I didn't. I think Emily gave you a pretty good breakdown of fabric options. I would definitely consider short dresses since your wedding is outdoors.
    Posted by blferguson1s[/QUOTE]

I am so in love with our venue! All the Saturdays were booked in June, so we decided to go with a Friday (Fridays are cheaper too!) They had some Saturdays in April and one in early May but we were worried about the weather with everything being outdoors! Have you found a venue yet?
    June 2013~Venue
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We're looking into Royale Orleans right now. That's probably where we'll end up. We wanted the Botanical Gardens but their rain plan scares me too much so we've decided to move to an indoor ceremony.
    June 2013 May Challenge: The Dress
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards