Rhode Island
Options

Where are you/did you have your wedding?

Town and venue?

What did you like and dislike about it.

Re: Where are you/did you have your wedding?

• Options
    RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got married at Easton Beach Rotunda in Newport, R.I My venue was one of the few to allow outside catering and hold 175 people without a tent set up. It was really important for us  to have the ceremony and reception in the same location. We had a beautiful beach ceremony - thanks to the warm weather and the old fashion carousel was a real treat for our guests at cocktail hour. Hosting our wedding in Newport was great for many of our out of town guests (who made a mini vacation out of it). Easton Beach was also relatively budget friendly especially by Newport standards so we were able to have our beach wedding without breaking the bank. What I didn't particularly like was the fact that I was not allowed to hang decor of any sort in the venue. The ballroom is a blank canvas so I wanted to dress it up with hanging lanterns but they have strict policy against it. I had other options like uplight or candle light (as long as the candle is covered) so I went that route. The beach is also a public beach so there were a few gawkers but most were polite enough to give us our space. Overall the pros out weighed the cons. 

• Options
    courtchace7courtchace7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Were getting married at Kirkbrae Country Club in Lincoln, RI.

For us the pros were the close proximity to MA which is where we live and the majority of our guests live. We have elderly relatives who cant travel far so this was a good location choice for us. We also like the lower food minimums. We are having a smaller wedding (120) so we didnt want some astronomical minimum to meet with not a very large guest list. Although it is still pricey for a Saturday night. We opted to do a Friday evening for an even lower minimum. We chose to have our ceremony there as well and w. the food min., ceremony fee, ballroom fee, and tax/adm. fee the venue came to a little over 10k. Also, we really liked the decks that wrap around the cocktail room and ballroom so guests can get some fresh air and take in the views of the golf course. We like the high ceilings in the big ballroom and we really love our coordinator who has been beyond helpful!

The cons for me were that they do the bar by consumption and we would have preferred to do a pp charge for the bar.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    shaina925shaina925 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am actually taking a look at Kirkbrae in a few days!  We are also a small wedding of 50 people.  But, if its cheap enough we may invite a few more.  I really am quite set on the whole newport wedding thing (we may get a good deal with castle hill inn)  but I am willing to take a look at Kirkbrae, it got great reviews. 

We are having a MUCH harder time choosing a venue than I thought we would...
  • Options
    courtchace7courtchace7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, the venue search is pretty hard, theres so many factors that go in to chossing the right one! Some of the venues in Newport are so nice but unfortunately for us, our elderly relatives cant travel that far into RI plus with a smaller guest list we couldnt justify trying to meet the large minimums. I looked at alot of venues in N. Rhode Island and S.Eastern, MA and Kirkbrae was by far my favorite. Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    i2012doi2012do member
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married at the Towers.
    The pros are the beautiful ocean view and the fact that it is fairly budget friendly.
    You really can't beat the view- everyone can see the ocean from any seat in the house.
    We chose to have a Saturday night wedding.

The cons are that teh womant hat works there is impossible to get a hold of, but don't let that deter you.

When all is said and done- even though it has been known as a budget friendly wedding place- it can really add up. Using the outside terrace is more money, you need to rent tables and chairs etc. So at the end of the day the venue alone will be costing us around $5000. Our catering bill will probably be around $13,000.
    At first I was also looking at places like kirkbrae and thought their 17,000 Saturday night minimum (these are 2010 numbers) was high- now i see it is quite average.

the other venue I LOVED was glen manor house- but it was out of our budget.

There is also a smaller room at hte biltmore on the 2nd floor i think would be goregous for a small wedding.

With 50 people you have a ton of possibilties, including restaurants,hotels etc.
    www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
    167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got to take a quick look at glen manor house... we just popped in and the event coordinator didn't have time to talk to us since there was a wedding in a few hours.  Our budget is well under 15k... I don't know how flexible they would be with us wanting a Thursday.  The only thing we didn't like about it is that it is in Bristol in the middle of no where.  At least if it was in Newport.. we would be in Newport. 
  • Options
    Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got married in Cranston RI at Rhodes on the Pawtuxet and loved every minute of it. The people were great to work with and we all had a fantastic time.  The only downside was that the exterior was not the most beautiful.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_youdid-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:122Discussion:de33c658-b71f-43fe-9076-e4ace0c0a804Post:f2d670b4-7066-4cb0-a0f3-855c1740c53a">Re: Where are you/did you have your wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We got to take a quick look at glen manor house... we just popped in and the event coordinator didn't have time to talk to us since there was a wedding in a few hours.  Our budget is well under 15k... I don't know how flexible they would be with us wanting a Thursday.  The only thing we didn't like about it is that it is in Bristol in the middle of no where.  At least if it was in Newport.. we would be in Newport. 
    Posted by shaina925[/QUOTE]

We looked at The Bristol Hsrbor Inn, and weren't that thrilled with it.  The woman from Dewolf did get in contact with me and was very friendly but I told her we had decided on someplace else.

The Castle Hill Inn was my personal favorite, Blithewold was also very nice.. but possibly too big of an area for our small wedding. 

I have a conference call tomorrow with the coordinator from Castle Hill and she is going to give us an estimate.  She seemed flexible and really willing to work with our budget.  If she gives us a number that we like then we will definitely choose them as our venue, if not, then I will see what Blithewold has to offer and if not that.... the search continues! 

I did still like glen manor house, it is just  such a pain to get to!
  • Options
    kathanddavekathanddave member
    edited December 2011
    I got married at Fort Adams on the North Lawn and loved it! The view was spectacular.  Lori @ Ft Adams was easy to deal with, the Fort was ours for the day which meant they didn't have any other weddings or functions booked before our wedding and we had access to everything.  There really isn't one thing I can think of that I disliked, loved everything!
  • Options
    amhill87amhill87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    our ceremony is going to be at Chapel by the Sea at Colt State Park in Bristol and our reception locaton is at Jackie's Galaxy.  It is reasonably priced for our guest list...alittle over 5k for 175 people.  And for the park $115 got us both the Chapel by the Sea and the shelter next to it in case of rain.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow! 5k for 175 people? That is awesome!  I am assuming that includes no liquor...
  • Options
    amhill87amhill87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Correct...we are doing a cash bar, but that does include a buffet with many different options, the toast, tax and gratutity.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we are getting married at atlantic beach club in middletown, ri. (actually right near newport/middletown town line) we have been back and forth about how we felt about it, but in the end for everything we needed and all the places we looked, it is going to be the right fit for us :) we will have been togeher 8 years by the time it arrives so we are very excited. we also just booked our rehearsal dinner site too!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We have decided on a Fall 2012 wedding at the North Beach Clubhouse in Narragansett. I have always wanted a smallish (100 guests max), DIY, unique, laid-back, Fall beach party wedding so this was absolutely perfect. The price is very reasonable and they don't have a huge laundry list of rules & regulations. I can decorate to my heart's content, have all my own vendors, and the staff have been excellent to work with. So far I am thrilled. And did I mention it's directly on the beach? Just walk down the steps from the huge deck onto the sand. Note: This venue is not appropriate for anyone having more than 100 people or a very formal affair.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having it at Quidnessett Country Club in North Kingstown. I love that is right on the bay with awesome views.
    I am just hoping that some of the horror stories I have heard from some brides at QCC is just a fluke!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards