Outdoor Weddings

bridesmaids bouquets??

So my wedding is may 29th and i don't even have bouquets for me or my bridesmaids. we're paying for the whole thing ourselves so money is a big issue. my bridesmaids are mostly in the family and don't really have money either. i got an idea from a friend to just have the bridesmaids hold a rose or two and just wrap the stem in ribbon. it would save money big time, but do you think this is kind of tacky?? 

Re: bridesmaids bouquets??

• I feel your pain - wedding June 12th, nearly no budget left, and no flowers yet. A lot of people hate silk flowers, so it's up to your personal taste. But i'm going to Michael's. They have premade bouquets, or you could build your own exactly how you want it for under $10 pretty easily. They have mini rose BM bouquets that are like $5 each...I think those would look better than one single rose. Or you could put those together how you want them too. Michaels silk flowers are ALWAYS on sale, it seems like. And you can get a coupon every Sunday in the paper, 50% off any one item.
    The only problem? Walking in there and seeing all your options is overwhelming, so have a few pictures printed out when you go in for reference ;)
    We're just two lost souls swimmin' in a fish bowl, year after year
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_bridesmaids-bouquets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:23f7a22f-5a9f-4417-808f-7288c1253573Post:ddf46a89-64bd-4d51-9807-dda6ebb7a240">Re: bridesmaids bouquets??</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you want to save money and still have the ladies carry a flower, I would go with a heartier flower like a hydrangea or peony.  If you're only getting a few (which you can get from a local florist or even the grocery store) it won't cost much at all (maybe $20 total for 4 or 5 stems) and you'll get a fuller look than you would with a single rose.
    Posted by jagore08[/QUOTE]

<div>I totally agree with this.  Its very possible both peonies & hydrangeas will be in season for your wedding, so you may be able to get them very affordably.</div>
    weddingcollage
  • I think that single or triple roses (flowers tend to look best in odd-numbered groupings) wrapped with ribbon would be very pretty.

If you want something fuller there are a few options.You can talk to your florist and authorize them to do a market buy. Just given them a color palette, and they can buy whatever is in your budget and looks good. Alternately, if you aren't using a florist, go buy a few bouquets from the nicest grocery store in town and pull them apart and put them back together. Some cities also have fresh flower markets that are open to the public.

Bunches of carnations (without the typical baby's breath and leather leaf) have a lovely lacy  look. As do bunches of baby's breath. 

You can also do non-florals such a pretty/meaningful books (family bible, poetry you like, or favorite literature), parasols, or lanterns.
  • i'm thinking about doing this for our June 19 wedding.  we're at the end of our budget too.  I think we're just going to the grocery store and getting 3 roses and some baby breath, (or carnations) and tying ribbons around them for the BM's.  won't cost too much, and will still look classic & beautiful. 

:)
    snowbaby-1
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The flowers I mentioned are in season for your wedding.  I used them for my May 24th wedding last year.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • For my mom's 2nd marriage my sister and I made ours by buying bouquets at the grocery store & wraping then wit ribbon.  I just saw pictures again from it recently and it looked really pretty!
    BFP 1/21/11...Missed Miscarriage 3/16/11...D&C 3/18/11
  • most groupings look better in odd numbers as mentioned...so probably do 1 or 3 flowers...one option ot save money if you want is to have vases on the head table and be able to throw the girls' bouquets in the vases for center pieces when done.  I have seen this and liked the idea.  I am using calla lilys, and I am thinking about the same thing, 1 stem for the flower girl, 3 for the brides maids, 5 for the matron of honor, and a full bouquet for me.  very simple, no filler, just beautiful calla lilys, with a little ribbon to hold them together. 
  • I've also seen where the bridemaids have carried a few calla lilies. It would be pretty inexpensive if you do silk flowers.
  • Have you considered paper flowers? You can make crepe paper roses fairly cheaply. Check out Martha Stewart. She has on-line guides. You can order the crepe paper sheets from Dick-Blick's art supply on-line. They are easier than you think once you get the methods down, but time-consuming. Peonies and dahlias are also larger flowers to consider. Dahlias are the easiest to make.

The other suggestions for larger flowers and using your local super-market are excellent suggestions if you prefer real. You can place specific orders through them. you just have to assemble. My sister did this with small calla lillies and roses. She wrapped the stems in ribbon.
  • Have you thought of something other than flowers? I'm using balloons. It looks great in photos and adds to the casual feel of our wedding.

I've seen people use parasols, fans, and even clutch handbags instead of bouquets. If you take flowers out of your budget/planning it saves a lot of worrying!
  • I think using a single long stem rose with some pretty ribbon tied on the stem could look really romantic if done right. Hydrangeas are also a great option, they're beautiful and you can get a very full look without using alot. Hydrangeas ar also great because they are cheap and come in a wide variety of colors.
    I'm married!
  • This may sound rather tacky for a wedding, but sometimes you can find bouquettes at resale shops like Goodwill. I've seen some pretty nice ones there for cheap. The Michales Idea above is also a great one, I am making my own bouquettes and boutineers and I've spent about $75 and this includes my bouquette, 3 bridesmaids, my mothers wrist corsage and all the boutineers.
  • I don't know what the theme of your wedding is, or colors..but Gerber daisys come in all colors and are the cheapest flower out there! THey look so cute in small, homeade bouquets!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards