Hawaii

Engagement photo nerves!

Hi all!
I know this is so silly, but we are having our engagement photos taken this Saturday and I'm nervous!
It will be my first time ever having professional photos taken and I'm worried that it will be awkward haha.
How do you get over that? And what should I wear?
I'm planning on getting my makeup done so that will be good.

Did you all have good experiences with your photos? Any tips on how to relax so I don't look like a statue in my pics??

Thanks! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Engagement photo nerves!

• Exciting! So happy for you ... relax and you'll have a blast!

My suggestions are:

Attire: Look at your photog's and other's galleries to see what other folks wore that you are drawn to. It's also fun to have an outfit for the both of you that is "you". Like your favorite sports team jerseys, boots, running wear, etc. Usually your phtog will have suggestions. But I think the biggest help is to look at galleries and draw inspiration. ***Take easy to change clothes so you can strip and switch in the backseat in order to save time.

Makeup: If this is the first time this person is doing your makeup, make sure you take photos of what you want to look like. You definitley do not want to go out looking like a drag queen or in makeup that is completely different than who you are. You probably want to look pretty and special but not overdone. ***bring a touch up makeup and hair bag with you. A mirrror is also helpful so that you can see your full head of hair. If you have a cheap full length mirror you may want to drag it along if you plan to do clothes changes so that you can adjust yourself after your switch.

For the reduction of awkardness/stiffness: Most importantly BE YOURSELF. Relax and have fun! Bring an ipod player/boom box/ smart phone and play your favorite tunes. It is amazing what music can do to your mood and how it brings out the real you! If you have time this week, you could practice in the mirror or with the timer on your digital camera to see what seems to flatters you. Look at some of your favorite photos of yourself and take a mental note of what you were doing so that you can "recreate" the look. Also if you google or youtube modeling lessons you might see some tips that help.

One other tip, hop on pinterest or photographer galleries and print or save the poses you want to try during your shoot. Bring the hard copies or your tablet/ipad/laptop with you. Also be sure to make a list of your "must have" shots so you won't have the "oh crap I totally forgot to have him take a pic of us kissing wth the sunset in the bacground" moment. You will surely will create organic moments too, but it helps to have some direction just in case your photog's creative directive vibe is flowing.

Have fun! Can't wait to see the results!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In terms of nerves, your photographer is a big part of being comfortable! My photographer could see that we were extremely nervous but he told us to take our time...to forget he was there...don't worry about anything else. He was so reassuring and great! I felt very relaxed and comfortable because he just gave off that vibe. For makeup, I also had my HM done only because my cousin did it for me. I opted for a more natural look. I don't wear makeup everyday so I was fine with a natural look... Just relax, have fun, be yourself, and just pretend it's just you and your future husband and that's all that matters!
    DW Siggy Challenge
    Dream Honeymoon Destination: Bora Bora

My Planning Bio *updated 04/10/12*

Visit Maui.Weddings.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm having my engagment pics soon too! Look at it as just a dress rehersal for the big day. This just give syou a chance for the 2 of you to be comfortbale in fron tof a camera together....
  • Great tips! Thanks everyone! 

I will definitely post them when we get them back so you can all see if I look awkward haha.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards