New Mexico

Marriage License Requirements

My FI and I are getting married in New Mexico and I am trying to find out some information pertaining to the marriage license/ceremony.

I am divorced so do I need to provide the documents proving that or just the date it was finalized?

Are there any requirements as to who can perform your ceremony? FI's dad is a Deacon at their Christian church and I am unsure as to if he is able to perform the ceremony or if he needs anything special to do this.

TIA!

Re: Marriage License Requirements

• ozarka020ozarka020 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Assuming you are getting married in Bernalillo county, this is from the County Clerk's website

Marriage Licenses: By law, the County Clerk’s Office is the only agency permitted to issue marriage licenses. All marriage license application are permanently filed, as are marriage records. The cost of a marriage license is $25, which must be paid in cash.

Marriage License requirements:

• Applicants must be one female and one male.
    • Both applicants need to be present.
    • Both need to be at least 18 years of age.
    • Both need current legal pictured ID, or birth certificate.
    • Both need proof of Social Security number.
    • Fee is $25.00 cash only.
    • Parental consent if 16 or 17 years of age.
    • Court order if 15 years of age.
    • Marriage licenses are issued and valid immediately.
    • Marriage licenses do not expire.
    • Blood tests are not required.
    • Any questions please call Marriage License information line (505) 468-1243.

http://www.bernco.gov/live/departments.asp?dept=2315&submenuid=2432#marriage

Or google the county clerk's office if you are getting married in another county.  I got married in Bernalillo county and DH is also divorced. We took his divorce decree and did not need it when we applied for the license.  I asked about it and the clerk pretty much said the county is putting the responsibility on the applicants to have all their stuff together before they apply, hence the signatures.  It was such an easy process.  Again, that was only for Bernalillo County, so I'm not sure about any others. 

As for your officiant, you should check with your ceremony location on their specific rules for who can perform the ceremony in their location.

• edited December 2011
    The requirements are the same for all counties in New Mexico.  You don't have to get your license in the county you get married in or even live in.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards