Florida-Central Florida
Options

Is this a no no?

so registry question...one my best friends is getting married this weekend. I am a terrible bridesmaid and haven't gotten their gift yet (life has been crazy past three months). Anyway so my fiance (who was invited but can't go) and I are looking to getting them a new down comforter.  They asked for one from target but after looking at it and reviews I just isn't exactly what I think would last a long time (quality). I have found one through Macy's that is on their like annual sale has the best reviews I have seen and about $10 cheaper. Is it a no no to get an item they want, but not the exact item?  I don't want her to be dissapointment not getting that one, but I think comforter is actually better than the one she asked for.

what do you ladies think? Did anyone do this for you for your registry gifts?

TIA!! :)

Re: Is this a no no?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I say go for it & explain it to her after the fact. Of course include the gift receipt for it iin case she does want to exchange it. Also make sure you look at the filling & get the equivalent, you don't want heavier or lighter than she asked for. I'm sure she'll appreciate you did the research since she probably didn't have the time to do it for every item on her registry. I'm sure she won't mind an upgrade ;) 
  • Options
    Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Exactly... buy the better quality and include the gift receipt. If you happen to talk to her about it later, then explain why you went with the other, but don't ruin the surprise of her already knowing what it is before she opens it. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • Options
    sarah42ndsarah42nd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it is fine. I mean your her bridesmaid , I would hope you know her better then just a " normal" guest but then you never know could of been close in HS lol. I think if your weren't a bridesmaid it would be a little iffy .  Like the girls said just make sure you include the gift reciept and it will be fine.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    no no I don't want to tell her before she opens it. It is going to be shipped to their condo they are renting on the beach till september. I am also getting something else just to bring with me to the wedding so I have something else besides a card.

The one she picked did not have a weighting on it. The one I found is light weight but almost all the reviews say that it is warm and heavey than you expect for a light weight so I think this is good. It doesn't look as "fluffy" as the target one but then again the target one says that the matterial "gives it an extra fluffy look" which to me means that not actually fluffy just made to look that way. 

The one she chose had a 230 thread count the one I found has 400 thread count. So probably much softer.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh we weren't friends in high school we met first week of college through one my best friends. He had met her at orientation and we lived together for 2 years in college then. I just don't know if people get their hearts set on a certain item and if it is a no no to kinda get not the exact one.
  • Options
    sarah42ndsarah42nd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think its fine. If she doesn't like it she can return it or use it as spare. lol. She's in Merrit Island right .... I think I read she was over her in a differnet post ...but i could be wrong. I think the weight is fine .  :) Good Luck.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yes merrit that is where her and her fiance grew up, but they will be moving to another state probably in December or Jan. for his first post as an officer.
  • Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would never do that. You should get them what is on their registry.  It's what they want. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    well i hope you get exactly what you want then Theresa :).  I know sarah and know that she doesn't have the most time to research items. She works as a nanny for 3 families around the clock and plans this wedding pretty much alone.  

So after talking to my mom I decided to go with the one I thought was of better quality. I know you shouldn't always trust reviews but when one has an average of 2.5 our of 5 rating and the other has a 4.8 out of 5 rating and is of better quality which one would you go with.  

Basically I am getting then what is valued at $200 usually, though luckily I got it on sale.  I am just going to tell her that the gift from myself and my FI basically what they asked for but I felt that it was of better quality after doing some research and if they really want that the original item there is a gift receipt and I will get them the other one of course. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    it depends. Did they only register at target, or did they also register at macy's and chose the target one? Like I only registered at BB&B to make it easier esp with the 20% coupon. My Aunt got me a ton of utensils (similar to the ones I registered for) from William Sonoma because her BB&B didn't have the ones I wanted. I was happy with them (she did include the gift receipt).
    BUT, if she registered at both Macy's and Target and therefore she chose the Target one over the Macy's one then I would say go for the Target one.
    You know what I mean?
  • Options
    Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

That's true, if she registered at both Macy's and Target and only had the one at Target on the registry, I don't know if I'd go with it. However, if she's only registered at Target, then go for it and give the gift receipt. :) I only registered at Target, I didn't want people to feel obligated to spend Macy's prices.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If she is in fact registered at Macy's and Target, she may not have wanted to put such an expensive item on her registry at Macy's and chose to go with the more economical Target choice. I say get her the nicer one. If she wants the Target one, Macy's has a great return policy :)
    That's Mrs.skWhitneyAmanda to you!

You're my true love, my whole heart ♥ ♥ ♥ <-- Married Bio <br>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Actually the Macy's was $10 cheaper (though originally $200) than the one she wanted.

She used myregistry.com What was interestesting was the one had on her registry was marked $20 dollars cheaper than it was on the actual target website. It was like it didn't update or something not sure.

She registered at target, BB&B, and Amazon. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I sent it with a gift receipt as well. So she can return it if she really wants the other one and I will then buy her that one.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    sounds like a good plan. I'm sure she will like it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Irisheyes, how was your experience using myregistry.com?  Did a lot of people buy her things off of it?  Because I'm registered with it and it seems so far that people are avoiding it.  However, I've got other registries that aren't online but a lot of the stuff I like is on that registry.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I thought it was ok, it is a lot of steps to you because you have to put in the couples name then find them in a list if there is more than one. Then either request a password or put in the password if you have it. 

biggest annoyance is signing the guest book each time the registry pulls up. I guess it is good because allows for several places on one site, but for myself it was slow and it didn't have up to date pricings on all the items.  One item I wanted to get I went to the store and they didn't have it.  Then also one item was showing, that I found and bought for her and when I clicked on it to say I bought it the item disapeared from the list completely and hasn't been seen since. So not sure what is up with that.

She probably 3 pages of things and maybe 15 of the items were filled or so at best. 

overall I would rate it : C+

pros: convience of more than one store and would direct you to that store and product online.

Cons: wrong pricing, slow, doesn't always work, items disapear for no reason (that haven't been filled) and sign in guest book each use.
  • Options
    AileeneGAileeneG member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Butting in here...   :)

Just FYI, the guestbook thing is an option that the Bride/groom can turn off or on, so if you're going to use the site, know that it's an option that you don't have to bother your guests with.  :)  I found that people avoided online shopping in general so while we did get some online orders from Target, the vast majority was bought in the stores. I don't think anyone bought anything off of our myregistry.com

• Options
    SarahSmile23SarahSmile23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i agree with getting them the better quality item, since it's something so basic. however, i'd also call target and tell them that you bought the item from the registry so they don't end up with another comforter shipped to them! you can say you bought it at the store and forgot to have the cashier remove it from the registry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards