Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

No contract for reverend?

My fiance and I chose to go with a nondenominational reverend for our ceremony. He said that he doesn't do contracts (He likes the trust system) and will require the fee to be paid a day before the wedding. We don't go to church, so it's not like we see him every week. Should I ask him for a contract or will this offend him? I am just afraid that if something happens we will be left without someone to marry us.
Anniversary

Re: No contract for reverend?

• Options
    I didn't have a contract for mine either.  You'd think he'd be trustworthy, but of course, you do never know.  I'd just go with it, to be honest.  Nothing like offending someone to make them not do a good job!
  • Options
    Amoro- Just go with the contract or no contract??
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Just because it's a pet peeve of mine.  You don't have a 'reverend", you have a minister (or officiant).  Reverend is an honorific awarded to someone who is a minister, much in the same way "The Honorable" is an honorific awarded to someone who is a judge or politician. 

You wouldn't say "I have an appointment with an honorable."  You'd say "I have an appointment with a judge."  In the same way, you don't call him/her "a reverend".  You'd have an appointment (or lack of contract with) a minister/priest.

Okay.  school's over.  There will be a quiz tomorrow.  =)
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I can't imagine you would need a contract.  I think it's pretty rare for the minister to not show up.

But if he is not associated with a specific church, you might see if there are references you can check in advance.  You might save any e-mails or correspondance where he confirms the date, time, and location of the wedding, or something concerning the content of the ceremony.

Then if by some chance he doesn't show, you will have some recourse. 
  • Options
    The pastor doing our ceremony basically said the same thing.  I figured he's right, if you can't trust a pastor, who can you trust?  So, we're going without a contract and I'm honestly not worried about it.
  • Options
    I wouldn't even THINK about not having a contract--not because it's a trust issue, but because there could easily be a mix-up and if you have something in writing it could avoid a disaster! If you're not comfortable with a contract, at least get something in writing (type it yourself if you need to) so you'll all be on the same page.

Here's an article I got from my officiant on the subject: http://www.lyssabeths.com/officiating_contract.html
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards