Outdoor Weddings

Do we we really need a dance floor?

I know, odd question! I personally can't dance to save a life so I'm needing some expert advice. We're really hoping for the dancing not to be the main event- the father/daugther and maybe a few other dances is probably all we will do. So the question is- can't you just dance on the grass?! Do we actually need to RENT a dance floor? Seems like a waste of money.

Re: Do we we really need a dance floor?

• I say don't worry about it, especially if you're not all that interested in one to begin with. You can put that money towards your honeymoon or something better =)
  • I'm having the same dilemma, and my problem is: if we only have the first few dances, what are people going to do for the rest of the party? My fiance hates to dance, but we're afraid that everyone is going to get bored. What do you think?
  • f you aren't planning on having dancing, but are still planning on having the father/daughter dance u can rent a much smaller one. They aren't that pricey and it may save your dress in the end. Just an idea.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 262 Invited image 38 Attending image 5 Declined image 219 Unknown
    RSVP Date August 1st
  • Our outside venue requires a dance floor if there is to be any dancing, because people dancing on their grass ruins it. Then again I live in New Mexico where grass and water are sparse so I'm not sure if this is a problem anywhere else. But I just wanted to bring that up.

We are renting a dance floor since we want to have dancing and it is going to cost us about $400-$500, not much compared to some other expenses, but, still, an added expense.  So if it's not super important to you, I guess don't do it, and if you're not required to have a dance floor, depending on the environment (is it muddy, grass, dry, etc.), then I wouldn't spend the money -- just let people dance on the grass.

if you're debating whether or not to have dancing or not, well, I think most guests expect/appreciate dancing but maybe that's just becuase those are the kind of weddings I've been to.  Either they are very short weddings with an hour-long reception or they are all-evening type events that include dancing.  I am not an expert in this so I can't help but I would say if you are having an all-evening type longer reception than maybe include dancing for those guests who would like to dance, or have some other kind of activity planned.  (I'm not sure what that would be though).
  • I think as long as there's an open area of grass, people will feel free to dance on it especially if they already saw your first dance there and your father-daughter dance. The only things I'd worry about is the bottom of your dress getting ruined and all the ladies at the wedding getting their heels stuck in the grass and getting all muddy. But those both have an easy fix... have your dress to be bustled up a little higher so it's not dragging on the ground and provide a flip flop basket for the ladies who would like to dance without getting their heels stuck in the ground. That way you can save money on renting a dance floor that you don't really want anyway and use the money towards something else that is important to you. HTH!
  • We can't dance either. I'm thinking of having first dance, father-daughter, etc, and then games like sack races instead, along with maybe a Mac-laptop photo booth, etc. If we end up able to afford a dance floor, we might ask some talented friends to give a group swing-dancing lesson :)
  • In our area dance floor rentals ranged from $800 - $1600 - well out of our budget for our bbq wedding.  As a gift my father and uncle have offered to put together a simple deck of plywood on 2'x4' framing and then we are going to cover it with some kind of vinyl top - whatever we can find that is cheap and will be good to dance on.  When the weddings over my dad will take it apart and use the materials to build a new raft at the cottage. 
  • I agree with spookiecat, atleast put down ply wood or a hard plastic surface if you are not going to invest in a rental. Think of the money you and your guests will waste on the cost of new shoes because they will get muddy and/or grass stained from dancing on the bare grass.
  • As a guest, I would not be happy about dancing on grass in high heels...  I can't imagine that a grass floor would make for a very graceful first dance either.  And what if it rains soon before the wedding?  You'd have mud :(  

I'm not sure where your reception is being held, but is there any solid surface nearby?  A porch, deck, patio, concrete slab, anything?  If so, try to reposition your set up around that area...  If not, look for a cheap dance floor.

Good luck ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards