Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Booking a photographer help

Hey everyone,

I have a question about booking photographers. My wedding date is set for July 2014 (I have the ceremony and reception site booked :-) ) and I'm just starting to look at prices for photographers. One photographer told me he's already got a bunch of bookings for June 2014 and already one booking on my day. Are people really booking this far in advance (20 months) or was the guy just trying to get me to sign a contract with him as quick as possible. He claimed he had a bunch of bookings at a recent bridal show. I've emailed a few other photographers a few weeks ago (pre recent bridal show) and they all had my date open  so I'm not sure how honest this photographer is being.

Re: Booking a photographer help

• It is possible.  Most book at least one year in advance up to about 18 months.  Does he have an availability calendar online to double check dates?  Also sounds like he books more than one wedding on a day.. does he guarentee which photographer you have with you?  Might be worth it to shop around.. trust your gut instinct when it comes to any wedding vendor.. remember.. they're your employees for a day.
  • Just letting you know, due to the economy that this is somewhat normal these days. So, I would believe the photographer.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_booking-a-photographer-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:156314cb-417f-4fa3-b45b-b3835168d70bPost:e7fa2462-1201-4f9e-8fed-500f213e4275">Booking a photographer help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey everyone,   I have a question about booking photographers. My wedding date is set for July 2014 (I have the ceremony and reception site booked :-) ) and I'm just starting to look at prices for photographers. One photographer told me he's already got a bunch of bookings for June 2014 and already one booking on my day. Are people really booking this far in advance (20 months) or was the guy just trying to get me to sign a contract with him as quick as possible. He claimed he had a bunch of bookings at a recent bridal show. I've emailed a few other photographers a few weeks ago (pre recent bridal show) and they all had my date open  so I'm not sure how honest this photographer is being.
    Posted by OreoZorro11[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm friends with my photographer on facebook and he posted that he's already started booking for 2014. If you're looking so far in advance, why are you surprised other brides are too?</div>
  • Statistically speaking, most brides book their photographer between 9-12 months in advance.  Only your photographer will know the answer to your question. but if he is already booked for your day, then how would you sign a contract with him?
  • edited October 2012
    The photographer has several photographers in his company and will book up to 2 weddings for a friday evening (the day of the week my wedding is). That is why he claimed we'd have to sign a contract soon since he already has one wedding for that day. I know that people are already booking for 2014, I was just surprised by the amount of people he claimed to have already signed a contact. Even though I'm looking early (partly due to the fact neigher me or my fiancee live in the area our wedding is in and we're both students), I'm not pressed to sign a contact right away. My goal is to have a photographer by the end of the year.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards