Louisiana-New Orleans

After the wedding?

Hi Everyone!

So I am trying to plan where to tell people to go after my June wedding...I am getting married at The Foundry, and would like to tell everyone to head to a bar in the Quarter, but where's a good spot with some room, where you don't have to rent a table or pay in advance?

Also, I am thinking of telling people to head to Pat O's after the rehearsal dinner on Friday, but will it be too crowded if you don't reserve a section?

Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Re: After the wedding?

• edited December 2011
    Are you from here or is this a DW? Anywhere you go on a Friday or Saturday night is going to be crowded - especially the summer. It might be a little more difficult if a lot of your guests are OOT, but I would recommend something away from the French Quarter - check into Mid-City, the CBD, or even the Marigny. Are you looking for something classy, or do you care if the place is a little dingy? Are you looking for tables and chairs for everyone to sit and relax, or are you looking for dancing and cutting up? I can probably help you more if you gave me more specific parameters. :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Visit NewOrleans.Weddings.com

Nov '12 September Siggy - Bridesmaids!
    bridesmaids-2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MaggieB83MaggieB83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the help!  I would say 99% of my guests are from out of town.  I'd like something a little bit nicer with tables & chairs for after the rehearsal dinner on Friday.  I am totally fine with something dingy after the wedding (strangely enough!).

Thanks for your help!
  • edited December 2011
    The Columns Hotel on St. Charles Avenue might be nice for after the rehearsal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • phunluvin82phunluvin82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think being in June may help with the crowd issue...the whole city seems to be noticeably  less crowded in June, July, August b/c people leave town during the summer.  Still, though, you might have a tough time at Pat O's on a Friday. 

How many people are we talking about?  Is it going to be 50 or 150...or more?  That would make a difference in places that I would recommend.

One place that comes to mind for after the wedding might be Le Maison on Frenchman St.  I'm thinking of that one b/c it is very big, but yet is not usually that crowded when I've been there.  Huge bar, plenty of tables, etc...but the only problem is that they may have a cover charge (usually between $5-10) to get in if they are having live music that night.
  • edited December 2011
    I'd head to Frenchmen street DBA is great it has space and they always have live music. Their bar is only stocked with imported beers from around the world so thats kinda cool, anything from anywhere you can imagine...and we have always had a great time on Frenchman. Its not so touristy so they may help with the crowds.
  • MaggieB83MaggieB83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Well we're expecting about 150 people at the wedding, but I'm sure most groups will break off and do their own thing.  Thank you so much for the recommendations!!!

• amyj54amyj54 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in NO next Friday and was trying to figure out the same thing.  There will probably be a group of us about 30 or so and we want to go out for food/drinks in the FQ but, we are not going to be paying for everything and don't want it to be cheesy by splitting checks and such.  I think Pat O's will be too touristy but, am really at a loss of where we can all meet up for a bite to eat and start the celebrations.  I'd love to hear any ideas too.

Thanks.
  • amyj54amyj54 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I forgot to mention I was looking for a place the night before/after the wedding - not night of....
  • edited December 2011
    Port of Call comes to mind for food and drinks but they may be a bit crowded on a Friday night
  • edited December 2011
    I stopped recommending Port of Call. The food was terrible last time I went, more than likely because there are either new owners or new management (can't remember which or how long it's been - at least a few years). I was sorely disappointed.

OP - Any particular reason you don't want to reserve a section at Pat O's? I went recently for my birthday and had a lovely time with my friends.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Visit NewOrleans.Weddings.com

Nov '12 September Siggy - Bridesmaids!
    bridesmaids-2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • phunluvin82phunluvin82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The last time we were at Port of Call, the food was good, but the service was terrible.  We waited forever and we were there at an off time...there were only about 4 or 5 other tables seated but our food took over an hour!!  Shame...

I agree with PP that Frenchman St. is probably a good bet...I mentioned La Maison on Frenchman b/c it's big...but I also love DBA. 

• Chelsey504Chelsey504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just got married in the FQ with about 125 guests, probably about half OOT. We went to the Carousel Bar in the Hotel Monteleone after the rehearsal dinner around 10pm on a Friday night. There were about 30 of us and it was perfect. We were able to get a couple seats at the bar occasionally and they have a larger back room that's connect with ample tables and booths. There was also a guy playing piano which added a nice ambiance. The drinks are well made and it's a super unique place to bring people.

On Saturday night after the wedding we walked down Bourbon, picked up hand grenades, and then headed to the Gold Mine. It is super trashy, but they play fun dancing music and everyone loved it. We probably had about 30 people that night too.... mostly the 20 and 30-somethings. 

Contrary to what a few other people have said, I would highly recommend staying in the FQ. If head elsewhere you might lose more people, and I am not a fan of venue changes that encourage drinking and driving. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards