Catholic Weddings

Theology of the Body

Question there is "Theology of the Body" by Christopher West, "Theology of the Body Explained" by Christopher West and then obviously the original written by the Pope. I have read the "beginners" book which was a perfect read for someone starting out. Is there much of a difference between that and West's "explained" book? Has anyone read the originals from the Pope? Are they really "advanced" and therefore difficult to get through? Thanks ladies!

Re: Theology of the Body

• I've read them all, including Love and Responsibility by JP (before being pope)

TOB by JP is a tough read, especially if you are new to his style of writing. He writes in a spiral, revisting similar points over and over in a deeper way. Sometimes though, he states a point that he plans to refute for the next 20 pages. I would recommend getting basics and perspectives, and then go for JPII.

First, read Beginners and Good news by Christopher West
    Then other stuff by Christopher 
        Heaven's song and Love that satisfies.

Then "Men, Women, and the mystery of Love" by Edward Sri

Then Christopher's "Explained" either by itself, or, If you want, you can read it along side JPII's...he summarizes in the same order as the full book. 

"Explained" is a lot heavier than Christopher's other books because he's really taking on the whole work. 
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited September 2012
    Thanks! That helps a lot :
  • I pretty much agree with everything Carrie said. My husband and I have been reading  Christopher West's "Explained" along side JPII. We read a section from JPII and talk about what we got from it. Then read Christopher West. We only do litttle sections at a time because it can be difficult to get through.
  • the only thing I have to say on this topic is some people don't like Christopher West and don't believe he speaks what the church teaches. I honestly don't know if that is true or not but a lot of people either love him or dislike him. The other thing I want to say is Theology of the Body was a speech JP made in a series of talks every week at the vatican, he didn't actually write a book on the subject. Just a little FYI.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_theology-of-the-body?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:2129a3c8-1cc5-4ece-a4f2-8b8657a4d1b1Post:822116c8-f29e-428c-ad45-df2db25f0c55">Re: Theology of the Body</a>:
    [QUOTE]the only thing I have to say on this topic is some people don't like Christopher West and don't believe he speaks what the church teaches. I honestly don't know if that is true or not but a lot of people either love him or dislike him. The other thing I want to say is Theology of the Body was a speech JP made in a series of talks every week at the vatican, he didn't actually write a book on the subject. Just a little FYI.
    Posted by sigmaurse[/QUOTE]

JPII actually DID write it as a book, before he became pope. He then decided to deliver them as his Wednesday audiences. 

<div>Actually, all of Christopher's books have an impramatur and nahil obstat. He has a board of directors (that includes several bishops) that he seeks guidance from. Waldstein (the guy that did the recent addition translation and is working on the 3rd edition translation) also backs him up.</div><div>
    </div><div>When analyzed carefully, most of the people that are criticial of him are ones that actually have issues with TOB itself, but instead Christopher is getting the criticism</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards