North Carolina
Options

Unity Candle vs. wind

Hey Ladies! So, I am most likely going to have an outdoor ceremony. I LOVE the idea of a unity candle, but as you have probably assumed, candles outdoors tend to get blown out (which equals bad symbolism, haha.) I was wondering if any of you had any other ideas for a unity symbol, other than the sand idea. Getting my wisdom teeth out tomorrow (eeek) so I might not be able to respond for a few days, just thought I'd put the post out there though :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker
image 135 Invited
image 105 are ready to party! image 30 have better things to do image0 need to check their mailboxes!
RSVP Date: Sept 08
http://jennieweaver.blogspot.com/

Re: Unity Candle vs. wind

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not really "traditional" so this may be a little off... but I'm currently planning to do a "quilt wrapping ceremony" rather than any of the normal unity stuff. 

http://2000dollarwedding.com/2008/07/from-conception-to-reception.html

This is an excerpt about it from the above website:

Quilt-Wrapping: Instead of signifying unity through a candle lighting ritual, we were wrapped in a quilt made from the fabric of friends and family to signify unification, the warmth and support of friends and family that are needed to sustain a healthy relationship, the comfort we bring to each other, and the bond between us that will continue to develop. On our wedding website, we asked guests to send us a small piece of fabric. Then—thanks to the help of another internet tutorial—Matt and I turned them into a quilt.

...I think it's a neat idea because you get to keep the quilt as something usable while have it be meaningful too.  It does look like a good amount of work though, plus that you have to get everyone to participate!

Feel better after the wisdom teeth too :)  I slept more in the 3 days after mine than I've ever slept before!  Enjoy all the ice cream :)
  • Options
    alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is somewhat unusual, but we are doing a Hawaiian Lei exchange.  since we are having a tropical wedding, we are trying to include some of the traditional hawaiian customs.  We are haing leis made in Hawaii and overnighted 2 days before the wedding for a very reasonable price.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It wasn't exactly the same, but we did the "hand ceremony" (google it for wording) right before the ring exchange.  Basically, we held each others hands and the pastor read something that goes "These are the hands that....etc etc".  I loved it.  
    image Matt & Ashley 5.08.10
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I've seen people use floating candles inside tall cylinder vases to keep the wind from blowing them out. I didn't do this myself, so I don't know how well it would work, but it's something to think about.

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We wanted to do something a little different so we did a love letter & wine box ceremony. We wrote letters to each other and we included them in a box with a bottle of wine & 2 glasses. We get to open it on our 10th anniversary. We really liked this idea because it's something we can keep. My dad built our box out of cherry wood so it's even more special. We hope to pass it down to our kids some day. If you're interested and you have trouble finding info you can e-mail me at matthewsk1216 at gmail dot com. GL!
  • Options
    meredithl618meredithl618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could always do a unity sand ceremony where you combine two colors of sand in a single vase. I think this would coordinate well with an outdoor/beachy wedding.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We are also doing the hand ceremony but it's in addition to the unity candle, too.  I love sand ceremonies....they always turn out beautiful!  Great keepsake!

Leigh Anne & Billy
    *October 2nd, 2010*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    jennieweaver1jennieweaver1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone, these will definitely help get my creative juices flowing.  If you all think of any more definitely let me know :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 135 Invited
    image 105 are ready to party! image 30 have better things to do image0 need to check their mailboxes!
    RSVP Date: Sept 08
    http://jennieweaver.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A couple of years ago my sister was married in a Catholic ceremony - her FI was Catholic and she converted - and they were not allowed to have a unity candle at the ceremony. 

I cant remember what they were called, but at one point a family member - cant remember who exactly -  put something like a "bridal lasso" for lack of a better word over the bride and groom to symbolize their lives becoming one.  The other thing they did during the ceremony was my sister's FI had some "coins" in his pocket, and he gave them to her.  When he gave her the coins, he spoke something about the money being a symbol of providing for the family, and as she accepted them, she said something about accepting his providing for her.

This was a few years ago, but I hope I conveyed the general idea in hopes you can google it and find something.

Another thought would be to google wedding ceremonial rituals in other countries -you may find an idea you can incorporate.

Best wishes!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards