Catholic Weddings

Missing priest?

Today my fiance and I were due to meet with the priest performing our wedding. This was due to be our third meeting, and we were very comfortable with him. Since we've moved, we haven't attended church at this particular church for a few months (it is the church I grew up attending). So imagine my surprise when I called today to confirm my appointment...to be told that "our" priest had be reassigned. This is no big deal right? The office manager reassured me that our time/date/place is still ours...but I'm still feeling a bit freaked out.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Missing priest?

• you should be ok.
    depending upon where he was reassigned, you may still be able to have him do your wedding.
  • I can understand your concern. I would be freaked out too. Calypso is right, if your priest is nearby, you may still be able have him officiate. I hope it all works out.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • Thanks for the words of reassurance! I've actually tracked "our" priest to another church in the same diocese, so I'm going to see if there is a chance he can return for our wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • H and I went throught a similar thing at around the same point to go!  We were supposed to meet with our first priest in early December for our final meeting.  H called twice with no call back, which was odd.  So I called the secretary and asked, she said our priest was on an extended leave.  Eventually the pastor called us and told us our priest was out indefinitely and he sent our file to the parish we were to marry in.  (Our first priest was from H's parish that had closed, but together we were attending a new parish where we would marry)  So the pastor at our church ended up marrying us.  We didn't have to do pre-cana or the FOCCUS again.  We did have to meet with our pastor twice, once for an initial get to know you meeting and then to go over our reading choices.

In the end we got married and that's what mattered most.  We were happy we found out when we did, so we didn't need to rush things last minute, which is the same boat you are in.  You have 4 months to get everything figured out.  And our pastor did a great job and even had a joke about H & I at the end of mass, so even though we had to switch priests we still had a personalized ceremony aimed towards us.  I'm sure the same will be for you.  And as PP said, you may still be able to be married by your original priest, if he's close enough to travel to your parish.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards