Massachusetts-Boston

Mailing invitations question - hand cancelling

For all you ladies who mailed your invites, did you hand cancel them?  I stopped in our post office and asked the lady who looked at me like I was certifiably crazy.  But I went in this tiny post office that's a part of a huge town but I didn't feel like dealing with the massive post office since it's always insanely busy.  Anyway, what did you do?

Re: Mailing invitations question - hand cancelling

• edited December 2011
    I was just wondering this myself...

I can't believe we're already sending out invitations!
  • jenvaletjenvalet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I brought mine in on a Saturday morning right when the post office opened.  They gave me no issues when I asked them to hand cancel them.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_mailing-invitations-question-hand-cancelling?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:418cdbb5-750f-4a1c-8600-62c8c2019f66Post:4531df5c-9c8c-4a74-a86c-16dbab5d20be">Re: Mailing invitations question - hand cancelling</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was just wondering this myself... I can't believe we're already sending out invitations!
    Posted by EKobrenski[/QUOTE]

<div>I know!!!  So exciting :)</div>
  • jkeprosjkepros member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm planning on sending my invites from the post office near my work (Bedford, MA--the one by Whole Foods on Great Road).  One of the girls I work with mailed hers from there and they didn't give her any problems.

:)  YAY!!!!
    Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
    by Shannon Sorensen Photography
    My hubby & I rock the frock.
    Bio
  • edited December 2011
    hand cancelling does not matter anymore since everything is automated... i sent 2 to myself as a test one with and one without and they both looked exactly the same... everything goes through the machines now... in the past hand cancelling used to stop them from going through

my postmaster helped me out... just ask them
  • spizlett410spizlett410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to my post office on a Friday afternoon and said I wanted to hand cancel the envelopes I had.  They asked if they were invitations and I said yes.  They took the whole box from me and said they would take care of it.  There was only like 1 other customer there, so I think that's why they were willing to do it.  My friend had to stamp hers on her own.

Good luck!
  • cdlnmfcdlnmf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

here goes a dumb question, feel free to laugh, but what is hand canelling? i don't think i've mailed anything ever in my life.

• edited December 2011
    I went to the big post office in Boston (the one near S. Station) and they did it no problem. I got a few back and they were indeed hand cancelled, I could tell. So it is done!
  • edited December 2011
    I had mine hand cancelled at the South Station post office annex...wasn't an issue at all, they recommended it b/c they were wedding invitations, just avoid the busy times of day.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_mailing-invitations-question-hand-cancelling?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:418cdbb5-750f-4a1c-8600-62c8c2019f66Post:5fab2342-ac9c-4297-9cda-d6025fed9474">Re: Mailing invitations question - hand cancelling</a>:
    [QUOTE]here goes a dumb question, feel free to laugh, but what is hand canelling? i don't think i've mailed anything ever in my life.
    Posted by cdlnmf[/QUOTE]

<div>No worries!  I was the same way last year.  Hand cancelling is when someone personally stamps a stamp over the postage stamp instead of feeding it through a machine.  You know the wavy lines over the stamp when you get something in the mail?  That's from a machine.  Hand cancelling invites make the outer envelope stay cleaner and look better.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'll definitely check out South Station!  Thanks ladies!</div>
  • lschreidlschreid member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hand canceled my Save the Dates and it was no problem.

HOWEVER, when I went back to the same post office the next day to mail out the usual Save the Dates that we had forgotten the first time around, there was a different woman working there, and she was really awful.  I was SO excited about this, and she said, "Oh are you getting married?"  I smiled and said "yes" and when I did she said "I'm so sorry to hear that.  Is there anything I can do to change your mind?"  I laughed it off a little but but she wouldn't let up.  In the end she was yelling at me "Don't do it!  You'll regret it!  What can I do to stop you?" and everyone in the post office was staring at me.  It was so embarrassing, and such a downer on what started out as such a happy thing.  I left in total shock.

But in the end, yes, hand cancelling is usually fine!  Sorry to go off topic but I've been dying to share about that crazy woman!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards