Moms and Maids
Options

Can't be away from my man!

Both my parents and my MOH are INSISTING that I spend the night away from my FI before the wedding. Not only that, but my MOH is pushing me to spend at least 24 hrs away! I'm not super traditional or conservative, so I'm not too keen on the idea. I also find it very, very hard to sleep when I'm somewhere else. How to I tell my MOH that i'm not comfortable with the idea of sleeping somewhere else and I want to be with my FI?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Can't be away from my man!

• Options
    Yeah, you're an adult. You can do what you want. If they give you crap about it, just say that your comfort comes before their perfect idea of what a bride says or does. Or just be nice and say "it's sweet you want to make sure I uphold tradition, but I'm really not comfortable with it."
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_cant-away-man?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:8c25bc78-bc91-4ae3-8441-8e0f4542e2f8Post:2d8a8367-3db0-4a25-9f84-edc0c7a89dc2">Re: Can't be away from my man!</a>:
    [QUOTE]"MOH, I'm not comfortable with the idea of sleeping somewhere else and I want to be with my FI." Seriously, it's not that big of a deal. <strong>However, if the idea of being away from your FI for a night is really that traumatizing for you, then I think you should work on that. It's not healthy to unable to sleep or function normally when away from your spouse.
    </strong>Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

This.  I hate when my H goes away on weekend get aways with his guy friends but I am a big girl and can handle being on my own for a few days without freaking out.

As for the night before your wedding, if neither of you are superstitious and want to be with each other the night before, then just tell everyone to stop trying and pressure you into something you don't want. 

As for me, I actually enjoyed being away from H the night before our wedding.  It gave me a chance to hang out with just my Mom and sister who I hardly ever get to see (Mom lives in Florida, sister lives in Texas).

• Options
    If you know you won't get a good night's sleep in a strange bed, just tell them that you can't sleep in a strange bed. You're an adult and you don't have to do what they say. Eventually they will shut up or grow hoarse trying to convince you. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't think it is unhealthy to have trouble sleeping away from your FI -- I am the same way.  I toss and turn when he's not there and wake up feeling exhausted and sore. 

Just talk to your MOH and be honest with her... do you think she is so concerned with the issue because of traditions?  Or maybe she just really wants one last bonding night with her BFF before you move into married life.      If it's the former, then tell her that you appreciate her concern, but you are not that traditional and would rather have a comfortable night's sleep in your bed with your FI pre-wedding.  If you get the hint that it may be the latter, I'd say to share that special time with your friend and give FI a goodnight call before you go to sleep :)
    ~*June 2013 Sig Challenge: Our Cake*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    sounds like they want you to uphold a tradition and thought well maybe it would be a good thing for you, its better to say thanks but no thanks and leave it at that. If they persist just be a broken record and say no thanks over and over and over again, eventually they will get it
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards