New York-Hudson Valley

Where to start to become a wedding planner?

I'm getting out of the Army soon, and am really interested in getting into wedding planning.  Does anyone know a particular degree, school, certification, etc. that is required or just basically a good idea in the Hudson Valley?  Is a degree in event planning necessary/a good idea?  I'm not really sure where to start, thanks!---Jen

Re: Where to start to become a wedding planner?

• eclibraeclibra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would look for an existing planner and start as an assistant or apprentice.  I don't believe a certificate will give you the qualifications that a bride would look for when choosing someone to be their wedding planner.  I would want someone with experience in event planning and I think that's the best way to get involved.
  • edited December 2011
    Check with the community college, some may offer a certificate in wedding planning.  I also agree with PP, see if you can get an assistant job with a established planner so you can get some experience.

I had a few people tell me that I should plan weddings because I did such a good job with mine. I realized that I loved doing it but I don't know that I could work with another person on 'their vision' if I really didn't like it or didn't agree with something they were doing. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards