Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Are they my images?

Just started planning and do not want to sound completely dumb when talking to people. What is the deal with most photographers, do I have to pay extra to get my photos?  I do not need them printed but would like the file.  Thank you!

Re: Are they my images?

• Options
    twilight.rosetwilight.rose member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is going to differ from package to package, and photographer to photographer. You'll just want to ask each photographer you interview if you will have full digital rights to your images included in your package, or if that is an additional fee.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Typically when a photographer gives you the rights to your images, they'll let you know.  If they don't say anything either way, it's usually an indication that they don't (or will only give you the rights for a premium).  The easiest way to find out is to ask!

In my experience, I've found that younger photographers/companies tend to give you your images more frequently than photographers/companies who were operating before the shift to digital.
  • Options
    woodfrogswoodfrogs member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In most cases, if you do get the digital files, you will have "rights to print for personal use" only. And posting anything on-line will involve giving the photographer credit. That's a question to ask whoever you interview and make sure it's spelled out in the contract. The other thing you will want to check is how long it will be until you get your digital files. Some photographers put conditions on handing them out. One guy I heard about wouldn't give out files until 1 year after the wedding. Sometimes you have to rder an album or prints first. Check the fine print.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you want to own the printing rights to your photos, make sure you:
     A. tell the photographer you want them,
    B. understand that depending upon the photographer, you might have to pay extra &
    C. make sure it is written in a contract that you get the printing rights to your photos and a CD of all of the files in large format photo files

Some photogs will include a CD of all of the photos in their packages, but the photos are stored in small format so they're only good for viewing on your computer and they get distorted if you try to enlarge them for reprinting.  Our photographer isn;t charging us extra for the rights and the CD, but some others that we met with were going to.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the ladies above.  It really goes from photographer to photographer.  Most photographers have the option to buy your images, it is just a matter of whether this is a separate charge or if it is included.  You may also want to ask if you get all of the images or just the ones the photographer selects.  (Our photog took over 400 engagement pics and we only got 88 on our CD.) 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just make sure you ask the photographer for a release.  That way you own the pictures for personal use.  Also, make sure so get this in writing as a lot of printing places will not allow you to print if you do not have written permission from the photographer.  Most wedding packages include copyright release but you need to make sure.  Having to print each picture directly from the photographer is very expensive.
  • Options
    Bill PottsBill Potts member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In the USA, photographers own the copyrights to any image taken. The photographer then licenses the useage of those images. Almost all wedding photographers will give all the images, in high resolution, on a CD, for a price. That price depends much on where you are. For me, I always retouch 20-30 images, then give those and all the rest in high resolution format on a cd in all of my packages.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards