Students
Options

Separation anxiety

Hey ladies,

I don't post much but I'm just looking for some support I guess..

I've always been a little prone to get anxious about everything, but I am having a hard time dealing with graduating. I was so involved as a student, part of a service sorority, working part time jobs, studying, marching band...the works. I just have this almost debilitating fear that I won't get a job, will lose all my friends, and in general won't be good at the rest of my life.

I'm well aware that it's ridiculous to feel feel this way and things are bound to work out and I do have people that care about me, but I can't shake this feeling. I was so good at being a student. I guess it's just the unknown throwing me for a loop.

Anyone have some words of wisdom or stories or anything to cheer me up? I'd be really grateful.
Generosity of mind, heart, and hand.

Re: Separation anxiety

• Options
    Don't worry.  It just hit me yesterday that I was graduating after this year of college.  But remember that even though sometimes you have no idea how things will work out they tend to fall together.  I learned that the hard way since last semester (2 weeks into it) I lost my job, had to find a new place to live, had to quit my service sorority (by the way none of the girls even talk to me anymore) because I couldn't afford it, and had to find a job and balance a super heavy course load.  It sucked at the time and I had no idea how I'd figure it out.  But I did it.  

You have friends and family that love you and care about you.  They aren't going anywhere.  It may be hard to find a job and you may not find your dream job right out of college, but you will find something.  And in this day and age something is better than nothing.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    JordanL1221JordanL1221 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2012
    In Response to Re:Separation anxiety:[QUOTE]Hey ladies,

I don't post much but I'm just looking for some support I guess..

I've always been a little prone to get anxious about everything, but I am having a hard time dealing with graduating. I was so involved as a student, part of a service sorority, working part time jobs, studying, marching band...the works. I just have this almost debilitating fear that I won't get a job, will lose all my friends, and in general won't be good at the rest of my life.

I'm well aware that it's ridiculous to feel feel this way and things are bound to work out and I do have people that care about me, but I can't shake this feeling. I was so good at being a student. I guess it's just the unknown throwing me for a loop.

Anyone have some words of wisdom or stories or anything to cheer me up? I'd be really grateful. Posted by jello38[/QUOTE]

Graduating is scary. What's your major? I graduated May 4th and have not found a career yet, but out of all of my friends, only one out of the six of us has. It's tough out there. Save your money for after graduation and keep your part time! :. It will all work out, just be patient and realize everything will fall into place!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP#1 4/9/12- EDD 12/22/12- M/MC at 9w4d 5/23/12.
    BFP#2 12/18/12- EDD 8/31/13 First U/S- 6w4d HB 124! Second U/S- 10w2d HB 178!! Grow baby, grow! NT Scan Scheduled for 2/20/13.
  • Options
    I understand completely.  I already have anxiety about what will happen next year when I graduate because even if I find a job right away I can't start working until august because I am an education major.  I think it is normal to have all of this anxiety.  It's a small step from high school to college I think compared to the step from college to degreed living. Take a deep breath, take a nice relaxing bath, and if you are religious then pray.  Things will always work out.
    Daisypath Graduation tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I was in the same sitution you were last year. I did all thing things you said marching band soroitiy consert band part time job. I was determined to not be one of those people a year later with no job in there field. However i have yet to get a job that i want i'm working at a vet clinic right now takeing care of sick animals. But i want to get a career as a large mammal zoo keeper a very hard job to get. On the bright side i have friends i love and will drive the two hours to me to be with me. I dont have them in town but there their when i need them. I have a wonderful man in my life that picks me up when i think things get to much. 

So what I'm saying is breath it will be fine. Enjoy the last little bit of school. Enjoy graduation it will be a wonderful day i cryed. Things will fall into place it might take time but what the last year has taught me is to trust in yourself. You may have to take a job you dont want but always strive for what you want. It has been a year and i have sent out close to 100 applications but i wont give up and i hope you wont too. 
  • Options
    I totally get it. I was really involved in highschool in my last couple of years, but lost touch with a lot of that when I started university. In my third year, I realised I should make the most of my time as an undergrad and started getting involved again. Now it's my last term, and I'm so sad to be leaving all my friends and activities behind. I just keep reminding myself that it's not the end, it's more of a new beginning, and while I'm terrified, I'm really excited for everything that lies ahead. 

If you haven't seen this article [<-- clicky] yet, I strongly recommend you read it. It really puts things in perspective.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options

Thank you all for your kind words, I feel like a jerk for posting and then ignoring, but I took some real time to myself and reflected a little bit.

I know one day it'll all work out, that's the crazy thing. If I know it, why can't I just stay calm and enjoy what I do have?

Since my post, I've turned into Betty Homemaker. Took up sewing, and repainting crappy furniture to make it look great in our apartment. I think it's helping me feel like I'm accomplishing something!

I'm a Music Education major. This past weekend I had a graduation party and my mother's friends thought it was helpful to say "Wow well that's a degree you probably won't get a job in for a long time." Like that was supportive. I wanted to cry and walk away, but I just smiled and said "Well I just keep my fingers crossed..."

I think Facebook is making this worse, it feels like everyone else is having fun and I'm not. Anyone else ever get that way? I read some article about how facebook makes you feel more lonely than you really are.

Either way, I appreciate the pick-me-ups! I haven't given up yet.

Generosity of mind, heart, and hand.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards