Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

When is first dance supposed to be?

So the caterere is asking me all these questions I don't know and it is stressing me out!!!

He wants to know:

1.  When is first dance
2.  When is father/daughter dance
3.  When are best man speeches

I have no idea.  We will get to the reception place at 5:00 pm, and there is no sit down dinner. We are having a pass through dinner which is like plates of appetizers that just keep coming out.  There will be tables if people want to sit, otherwise,  it is like a big cocktail party.

So what time does the first dance usually start?  An hour or 90 minutes after we get there or something?  Are the speeches before or after this?

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

Re: When is first dance supposed to be?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_when-is-first-dance-supposed-to-be?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:52338d0a-595c-4574-b6c5-3f152de5a87fPost:65b21246-c498-4286-b940-c65473b1a91a">Re: When is first dance supposed to be?</a>:
    [QUOTE]As soon as possible.  Preferably right after the welcome speech and toast.  No one else can dance until the bride and groom have had their dance. so get it done!
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Ah!  Good point.  So what should the timing be on the welcome speech and toasts?  Like and hour after we get to the reception place?  Earlier?</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_when-is-first-dance-supposed-to-be?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:52338d0a-595c-4574-b6c5-3f152de5a87fPost:dc45856a-0e49-477e-b748-ff2b33cf2589">Re:When is first dance supposed to be?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Personally, I would do your welcome speech and the dances as soon as you enter the reception. Since any other toasts should be volunteered and they can do them whenever they like.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

ITA with all of this.

Get yourself a mic right away and get things started off right, otherwise guests will start talking to you and time will just fly away from you!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_when-is-first-dance-supposed-to-be?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:52338d0a-595c-4574-b6c5-3f152de5a87fPost:6347c710-9c30-4d8f-ab3a-b276dadecd5e">Re: When is first dance supposed to be?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>We were announced in and went right into our first dance. It works well because everyone is at their tables, and you two will be in the middle of the floor.</strong> Then we did parent dances, toasts, and dinner.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

Yup! This is exactly what we did!  We then took our seats, had the welcome speech and began dinner. We did toasts/speeches in between the dinner courses.
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • Options
    We went into our first dance right after we were introduced at the reception. 

Definitely do not wait an hour after you've been introduced. That just doesn't make sense. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards