June 2012 Weddings
Options

Is this weird?

So i just got an email back from my photographer asking her how long i have her ( bc i forgot what she told us when we booked her). We have her for 8 hours. Our ceremony starts at 3 so the latest she would come is 1 to start pre- wedding pictures so they can be done by 2:30. My reception is going to be over at 11pm bc the dj doesn't start charging us for time until all the dancing starts and the cocktail hour, dinner, cake and toasts  will all be before the dancing ( obviously). This would allow 3-4 hours of dancing.

My question is: Is it weird for my photographer to leave at 9 ( bc thats when the 8 hours will be over) even though the reception hasn't ended? I don't know what other option i have other then have 1 hour of dancing ( which is unexceptable with our families bc they love dancing). We aren't having an "exit" bc we are staying at our reception venue over night so really she would only be missing more photo shots of dancing.

Re: Is this weird?

• Options
    I have my photographer for 8 hours as well and will probably stay till the father/daughter and mother/son dance. I didn't feel it was necessary to have photos of people dancing not for the additional cost at least. Guests will be taking photos as well and I think those will just have to do.

If you really want photos of people dancing, ask if they can stay longer. Most photographers can add hours as required for a fee.
    Planning Bio Updated June 12/12 Lots of Wedding DIY Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    I've seen a lot of weddings where the photographer leaves early. If all your "events" are over by 9, I don't see the point in paying extra to have her take photos of dancing for 2 hours. Just make sure that all the toasts, bouquet toss, etc are over by that time.
  • Options
    Our photographer is leaving after the first hour of dancing because we are not doing a formal exit and I didnt think we needed 3 1/2 hours of dancing photos.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 66 image Invited
    45 image Are ready to party
  • Options
    Ours is leaving a little after 9pm too and our reception goes until 11:30.  Seriously, there's only so many pictures of people dancing that you need.  I didn't think it was worth paying extra for.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    If all of your big events are over at that time, I don't see a big deal in her leaving then.

You can only have so many dancing photos before you get annoyed by them.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I agree with pp. Most of the must take photo's will be over at that point. The only unfortunate thing is that she or he will miss photographing your exit:/
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Oura will only be staying until the cake cutting, etc is finished.  No need to stay until entire reception is over, IMO.
  • Options
    LambbopLambbop member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_is-this-weird?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:b91c3d5b-738f-4798-b447-408ca5c1c03bPost:eedec494-b3d7-45f9-a995-538dbb7574c0">Is this weird?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So i just got an email back from my photographer asking her how long i have her ( bc i forgot what she told us when we booked her). We have her for 8 hours. Our ceremony starts at 3 so the latest she would come is 1 to start pre- wedding pictures so they can be done by 2:30. My reception is going to be over at 11pm bc the dj doesn't start charging us for time until all the dancing starts and the cocktail hour, dinner, cake and toasts  will all be before the dancing ( obviously). This would allow 3-4 hours of dancing. My question is: <strong>Is it weird for my photographer to leave at 9 ( bc thats when the 8 hours will be over) even though the reception hasn't ended?</strong> I don't know what other option i have other then have 1 hour of dancing ( which is unexceptable with our families bc they love dancing). We aren't having an "exit" bc we are staying at our reception venue over night so really she would only be missing more photo shots of dancing.
    Posted by futuremrsbecerra[/QUOTE]

Not weird at all. Our photographer is leaving after the first hour of the dance as well. She said that in her experience you really don't need too much photography at that point as many of the dancing photos start to look the same.

To each their own though--if you want more dancing photos I imagine your photographer would have a rate per hour to tack on if you want more coverage. Mine said she would add $100/hour each hour she stays after our contract agreement... if we decided day of that she should stay a little longer.

Hope that helps!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks girls! That gives me a little more comfort and a lot less 'freaking out'.
  • Options
    Very normal for photogs to leave after the last big "event".

Ours is only staying because we asked her to because we are having a special sendoff.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    If you would like more photos of guests dancing and socializing at the reception, consider buying disposable cameras and placing them on the guest tables. I will be having my photograph take photos while my maids and I get ready at the salon as well as ceremonial stuff such as cake cutting etc. I will have a videographer video the ceremony and reception. I also plan to put disposible cameras on the tables.
  • Options
    I think it's a pretty fair bet to have the photographer clock out after the cake cutting if that's your last spotlight event. If you're doing a grand exit I would consider keeping her longer.

Consider that you're spending between $80-$100 per hour to have your photographer snap shots of mingling, socializing and dancing; it's all stuff you can get in those first few hours.
    Vacation White Knot
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_is-this-weird?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:b91c3d5b-738f-4798-b447-408ca5c1c03bPost:a4419429-8310-4e16-8ff5-522f5bff9a88">Re: Is this weird?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If all of your big events are over at that time, I don't see a big deal in her leaving then. You can only have so many dancing photos before you get annoyed by them.
    Posted by spiffycoolbeans[/QUOTE]

Exactly.
  • Options
    My sister is a professional wedding photographer and I asked her about the same thing. She said that most of her clients purchse the 8 hour package. She said the timing leaves it so that the eight hours are up right after the major "events". She says it usually leaves time for about 30 mins of dancing and clients don't find that they feel like they're "missing" anything. You don't really need more than one or two "action dancing shots".
    image Cheering on Xan921 & akcrrr (congrats!) DX with PCOS - 11/2012 **2000mg Metformin ** DH S/A = "ideal" ** HSG - All Clear In There! **Clomid Cycle next CD3**
  • Options
    I have my photographer for 8 hours as well and she is leaving before the end of the reception. I figure that I would rather have her there for getting ready shots than dancing shots anyway.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards