Flowers

Fake flowers -- yay or nay?

I am thinking of using fake flowers from Michael's craft store. My wedding is simple and has some subtle country touches (my fiance is a country boy). I want to have mason jars at the reception on tables with flowers (probably fake) and fake flowers for bouquets, etc. What does everyone on here think of using fake? Here's a photo of a few flowers I grabbed at the store and snapped a photo of.

I think I will use hot pink, light pink, and white. I don't really like the yellow, it's kind of random because my colors are hot pink and light pink (hot pink bridesmaids dresses). If I used this idea of course I would make it more full and would fix it up to look like a proper bouquet.

Comments and suggestions please :]
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Fake flowers -- yay or nay?

• cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally don't like the idea of using fake flowers. But if it's all you can work into your budget, then I say go for it. People will notice but it won't be the end of the world.
  • edited December 2011
    Flowers to me are an expression of a moment in time of perfection... So for a day as precious as a wedding I would never even consider fakies.

Fakes are for decorating and real are for celebrations. 
  • indigopsycheindigopsyche member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It depends on how you feel about flowers at your wedding. If they're not high on your priority list, then there's no problem with fake. I'm doing fake for most of my flowers since I'd rather spend the money on food.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KittyCandyKittyCandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel flowers are a very personal choice. You have to do what works for you.  You also have to ask yourself if you want to be able to keep your bouque or know that it will wilt?     Also there a lots of places to get Silk flowers.  Some even less expensive than Michaels.  So just feel out what you want to do and check out your options.  Im sure what you pick will be great. :)

I do like flowers of both kinds.   If I can swing going with real then I will.  My flower of choice is the ranunculus and from what I have seen to me the real ones look better than the fake/ silk.  Im checking around with some local growers so that I might be able get ones that a in season and save on some cost that way ;)

Best of luck to you!   Im sure what ever you decide that your celebration will be beautifull! 
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    IMO fake flowers look fake, especially when you can see the stems like in your picture.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    For me, fake aren't an option...but it is a personal choice.  It would depend on when your wedding is...are there any real flowers in season?  You may be able to go cheaper and have things look nicer going with real IF something you like is in season.  And BTW...I love the yellow and think yellow goes great with pink and sets it off nicely. 
  • edited December 2011
    NAY NAY NAY esecially the ones from Michaels.....the more real looking ones actually cost more than real flowers.  of course if it doesn't make a difference to you oh well........
  • kjan06kjan06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would make it into a proper bouquet, of course.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I beg to differ...check out www.angelsaccents.com, her creations are beautiful and belive me you cant tell they are fake even in  person, they even smell real...they are not cheap but you will have a keepsake and not a bunch of dead flowers...you can even resale them if you like and regain some wedding expenses. I ordered them for my wedding and no one could tell they were artificial and I have used them several times for parties and showers. Believe you would not be disappointed, but you have to order early on because her dates fill up...they are worth the cost.Smile Just take a look!
  • edited December 2011
    Some pictures of her bouquets:

Bride's bouquet

• kjan06kjan06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lovely! My main reason for wanting fake flowers is the cost. I am really torn on whether or not to have real or fake, but I don't want to spend a lot on them. And of course I don't want them to look tacky. What do you think of the flowers at Michael's? My mom's friend is crafty and could fix a nice bouquet with them. I just can't decide if the cheap fake flowers will be tacky or not.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Shellyberry72Shellyberry72 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll be using fake flowers.  My aunt will be doing the centerpieces and the bouquets and I trust her completely not to make it look tacky. 

While real flowers are nice I find the lesser cost of the fake will let me have more flowers plus when people take home the centerpieces they won't be dead in a couple days and they'll actually have something to display in their house for awhiile.  Plus I was the maid of honor is my sister's wedding 20 years ago (my aunt did those flowers too) and I still have my bouquet from that hanging on my wall right next to my bouquet from my brother's wedding when I was a bridesmaid.  It's your wedding, do what YOU want. You could always fill in with some dried babysbreath too if you feel you have too many gaps in your bouquets too....
  • edited December 2011
    Actually you can find some pretty realistic looking flowers at Michael's. If the look of the flowers are worrying you, you could always have a different centerpiece with just a touch of floral accents and it would be just as beautiful! Do you have a certain theme or look you are going with?
  • kjan06kjan06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a friend who is willing to help me create my own bouquets, center-pieces, etc. from cut flowers. Has anyone every tried this before? I'm really excited about the idea!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kjan06kjan06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_fake-flowers-yay-nay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:33b2ecd0-7e1b-4f03-801f-5d37aad3519ePost:d86ab2ad-a2c4-427b-a68a-756043932437">Re: Fake flowers -- yay or nay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Actually you can find some pretty realistic looking flowers at Michael's. If the look of the flowers are worrying you, you could always have a different centerpiece with just a touch of floral accents and it would be just as beautiful! Do you have a certain theme or look you are going with?
    Posted by Dazzleevents[/QUOTE]

I am actually making my own bouquets out of fresh flowers now, but the look/theme I am going for is "classy country." That's what I call it, anyway :]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    As a floral designer, I say, go for real. If you are worrying about cost.  Try  a wholesale on line floral distributer for the do it yourself bride, such as, Bunches Direct, great prices, even lower than the artificial ones sometime.  And what can beat the fragrance of a fresh flower.  Bunches Bob
    Bunches Bob "Have Fun With Those Blooms"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards