Registry and Gift Forum

Writing thank you notes for money when you don't know what you'll spend it on

I'm finally returning to the real world post-wedding and have been trying to get thank you notes finished, but I'm at a loss...Nearly everyone gave us money, and we have no idea what we're going to spend it on!  We'd like to start saving up for a house, but it will be a long time before we'll be able to afford to even start looking. I'm afraid if we say on the thank yous that we'll put the money toward a house and then don't get one soon people will think we were lying on the notes....
Any advice?  I want to get them out as soon a possible, but don't know what to write one them : /

Re: Writing thank you notes for money when you don't know what you'll spend it on

• I did something similar. Just said "thank you for the very generous gift. We will use it to save for our future dream home."
  • I like using "we plan to use your generous gift to purchase our fine china" or whatever big thing you'd like to save up for.  In our case, we know we'll have to finish completing our china set over time, so it works for us.  Of course some of the $$ gifts will also go towards helping us move after I (hopefully) get a new job over the summer.  
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_writing-thank-notes-money-dont-youll-spend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:d3fa9885-5469-4a1f-b45b-9de86ac84317Post:15d7c959-2fb5-44a9-8d9f-4348437cfb8b">Re: Writing thank you notes for money when you don't know what you'll spend it on</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did something similar. Just said "thank you for the very generous gift. We will use it to save for our future dream home."
    Posted by almost-a-bride[/QUOTE]

<div>This. that is what I was going to say- I think that is fine.  </div>
  • Just thank them and don't worry about telling them exactly what you'll spend it on. I once thanked someone for money for a birthday gift by telling them what I was going to spend it on, and I heard back that they didn't care, so that kind of turned me off the whole specific thank you.
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_writing-thank-notes-money-dont-youll-spend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:d3fa9885-5469-4a1f-b45b-9de86ac84317Post:1ecc94b0-d9cc-47b9-b135-16f85d061e4d">Re: Writing thank you notes for money when you don't know what you'll spend it on</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just thank them and don't worry about telling them exactly what you'll spend it on. I once thanked someone for money for a birthday gift by telling them what I was going to spend it on, and I heard back that they didn't care, so that kind of turned me off the whole specific thank you.
    Posted by CassieeK[/QUOTE]

<div>I think that person might be the odd one out. Most people like to hear what you plan to spend it on (plus it gives something to fill the note out a bit). Just say something like 'future dream home' or 'save to buy a house in the next few years' or something like that.</div>
  • it doesnt have to be exact. you can never go wrong with the house. a lot of our TY notes said something about buying furniture, as we moved in together a month before the wedding. i moved out of my parents house, and H moved out of living in a house that was already furnished (a friend owned it, he paid rent) so we had nothing.
  • >>Most people like to hear what you plan to spend it on (plus it gives something to fill the note out a bit).

Totally agree with this.
    In my area, you would purchase a specific thing, and that specific thing would represent Aunt Jane and Uncle John, just as if they had purchased that specific thing for you.  And your TY says exactly that you have purchased this specific thing which will remind you that Aunt Jane and Uncle John are wedding witnesses and marriage mentors for you.
  • cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2011
    Since when do you need to specifiy in a thank you note what you are going to spend the money on? I don't think I've ever received a thank you note, wedding or otherwise, that specified what they were going to spend my money on..and if they did specify, I guess I didn't even notice.
    We already own a house, and I have no clue what we'll spend our money on. We will spend it as we need it for things, whatever those things may be. It is a little unrealistic to say "I'm going to take your $200 and spend it on a sofa".  It is not important and I doubt anybody will care if you just say "thank you for your generous gift".
  • i recently received two thank you cards and one just said thanks for your generous gift, and the other said they used it for kitchen stuff. i didn't think anything was missing from the generic note. i was happy to just get the card and a photo of them. i did think it was nice that the other couple specified but like i said i didn't think anything was strange about the couple that didn't specify. i wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_writing-thank-notes-money-dont-youll-spend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:d3fa9885-5469-4a1f-b45b-9de86ac84317Post:71c12a0a-7aad-42f4-9b47-495e02e792b0">Re: Writing thank you notes for money when you don't know what you'll spend it on</a>:
    [QUOTE]"Thank you for the generous check. We need so many things as we begin our future life together, and your thoughtful gift will help us plan our new home."
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

Love this.  Or something along the lines of "thank you for the generous gift, it will be very helpful as we begin our new lives together". 
    I don't think it needs to be super specific as pps have mentioned, I don't care if you are buying china or a sofa with it....if I gave you cash, I did it for you to use as you wish to help start your lives together in whatever way you see neccessary.  So the saving for your home comment works fne...I wouldn't be offended if you didn't buy a new home immediately because clearly that takes time. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards