Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Winter Wedding in Philadelphia

Hi Everyone! 

I just got engaged this weekend and FI and are thinking about having a winter wedding, potentially January 2012.  We would like to have the ceremony at St. Monica's in South Philly, any venue suggestions for the reception?  Thoughts about having a wedding in the city in January with the potential for snow?

TIA!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Winter Wedding in Philadelphia

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Whats your budget?  I have a lot of center city recommendations, but your budget will help me tailor them to you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree - budget will help bigtime.  Also, page ButtonsPepper here or on the Nest - she had a wedding in February and two feet of snow fell on her wedding day.  A few things didn't go quite as planned and some guests were unable to come, but she tok it all in stride and had beautiful snowy photos ro remember the day by...
  • Options
    mascioc2mascioc2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would say our budget is on the modest side, $110-$115 per person would be an absolute max.  We're not committed to having the reception in the city because I know it can be more expensive, but in terms of travel I thought if the weather was bad it'd be easier to have the ceremony and reception close together.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm.   I am thinking the only place you can come close to this price that I am aware of in the city would be the Ballroom at the Ben on a Sunday during Jan or Feb (their off season discount pricing).   I know on a Fri during Jan/Feb they are around $115, and I am pretty sure Sunday is about $10 less.   Thats honestly I think the best youre going to get in the city.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    mascioc2 I'd take a look around and get a feel for what you like. Most places are really willing to work with you and given your timeframe I think you can get some discounts. I definitely think you may need to consider a Friday or Sunday and when you are serious about a place make sure you or someone you're with is a good negotiator. Good luck with the plans and congrats on the engagement!! How'd he ask you?? Let's see the ring...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mascioc2mascioc2 member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  We went to the Moshulu for dinner for my birthday on Friday night.  We've been talking about getting engaged for awhile and he told me that he wanted to wait until he was more situated at his new job so I had been a little bummed.  So as an alternate gift I asked for a clarisonic.  When we got to the restaurant he brought in a big box which I thought was a clarisonic box and after dinner I opened it.  Inside were roses and a ring box.  He took it out, got down on one knee and proposed on the deck of the ship!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Whoah, nice ring!!  I love that style.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations! Your ring is gorgeous!

Are you originally from South Philly?
  • Options
    mascioc2mascioc2 member
    edited December 2011

I've actually lived in Burlington County in South Jersey my whole life.  My dad is from South Philly and grew up as an alter boy at Saint Monica's, attended school there and got married there.  His mother was also really active with the church and passed away before I wa born so I wanted to have my ceremony there in honor of her.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

and and for the original question...I am getting married this December at OLMC, our reception will be at Luciens Manor in Berlin, NJ. It is a little bit of a drive but we will be offering transportation for any one who wants it.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    that's really nice, St. Monica's is a beautiful church!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards