September 2012 Weddings
Options

Ring dilemma

My e-ring is a simple round solitaire set in a six prong setting. This makes it impossible to get a wedding band that sets snugly against the band (the bottom prong is in the way). One solution is to buy a band with enough metal on the side of the diamonds to notch it out and then probably solder them together after the wedding. The problem with that is I'd have to get a wider band than I really want (I have very small fingers and hands so want to keep my rings simple and relatively small). The other solution is to have the diamond reset in a four prong setting... which I'm OK with, but I'm afraid my fiance's feelings will be hurt since he picked out the e-ring on his own.  I love the way it looks alone, but I just can't find a band that works next to it. Would you tell you fiance you want to reset your e-ring? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker 129image 102image 24image

Re: Ring dilemma

• Options
    Have you tried going to the jewelry store to see what they suggest?  The larger diamond in the middle of my e-ring is 4 prongs and I'm actually planning on having them  re set it in 6 prongs.  I have had my diamond come loose twice and fell out once... I definitely dont want to deal with that for the rest of my life.   My FI was a littel upset because he felt he did "a bad job" picking out the ring, then I explained the reasons why and he completely understood.  I'm sure your FI would understand especially if they are soldered together after :)
  • Options
    kikirst33kikirst33 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    A good jewelry store will have a designer on-hand that can custom make a band to fit the shape of your E-ring.

My e-ring does not have a standard shape, FI and I went to a nice jewelry store and talked with their designer who will be making a custom wedding band to fit exacty to the shape of my E-ring.  Only downside is that I had to leave my ring for a few days so that they could create a wax casting to ensure that the band custom fits.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hmm, would you be able to get the same setting in a 4-prong? Or could they just alter yours to make it a 4-prong?

If neither of those are an option, then no...I don't think I would tell him that I wanted it reset because esentially, it would have to be an entirely new setting that would probably be a lot different looking (unless your setting is really simple, or unless there's something similar out there). If you have to change the appearance of the rest of the setting then I think it would probably offend him.

Have you thought about getting whatever kind of band that you want and wearing it on your right hand instead? My band doesn't match my e-ring perfectly, and I've thought about doing that. You could also reverse them and keep your band on your left hand then have your e-ring re-sized to fit your right hand (which, I think is kind of a modern trend). Just a thought. Another option would be having a custom band completely made from scratch, but I'm not sure how pricey that is.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_ring-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:0c516045-9db6-4ce1-95c4-fe30a6c95fcaPost:4ac554ec-7d26-4d7a-a24c-fe3a7d32f7a2">Re: Ring dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE] Another option would be having a custom band completely made from scratch, but I'm not sure how pricey that is.
    Posted by ejheart[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>It's actually not any more pricy that the actual ring itself if you go to a good jewler.  My band will not be costing any more than the band I saw at the store, they are just custom fitting it to my E--ring.  It shouldn't cost any more to have a band custom made as long as you go to a good reputable jewelry store (I would avoid the mall stores).  Check with your local boards for jewelry stores that do custom design work.

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_ring-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:0c516045-9db6-4ce1-95c4-fe30a6c95fcaPost:ff916a68-4912-43b5-b466-d16aa029bf41">Re: Ring dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ring dilemma : It's actually not any more pricy that the actual ring itself if you go to a good jewler.  My band will not be costing any more than the band I saw at the store, they are just custom fitting it to my E--ring.  It shouldn't cost any more to have a band custom made as long as you go to a good reputable jewelry store (I would avoid the mall stores).  <strong>Check with your local boards for jewelry stores that do custom design work.
    </strong>Posted by kikirst33[/QUOTE]

Looks like we both live in the Detroit area. What jeweler did you use?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_ring-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:0c516045-9db6-4ce1-95c4-fe30a6c95fcaPost:d1215518-c621-4c3b-b2b5-5f76e80d6bb8">Re: Ring dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ring dilemma : Looks like we both live in the Detroit area. What jeweler did you use?
    Posted by sbradke[/QUOTE]<div>DUH.... If i had noticed that I could have provided you that info.  </div><div>
    </div><div>FI and I went to Miners Den in Royal Oak (<a href="http://www.minersden.com/)" rel="nofollow">http://www.minersden.com/)</a> and met with their designer Tia.  She's great and had a lot of suggestions for what she could do for my band.  Their web-site isn't all that fancy but I was impressed with Tia's suggesstions.</div><div>
    </div><div>Astrein's in Birmingham (<a href="http://astreinjewelers.com/)" rel="nofollow">http://astreinjewelers.com/)</a> also does custom jewelry. Not sure of their pricing.</div><div>
    </div><div>I was really happy with the suggestions and pricing that Miner's Den suggested.  Good luck!  </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

My ring had a similar issue.  I went to a jeweler and they made me a band that was notched out to set snuggly against my e-ring.

• Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll talk to a jeweler. I am just concerned that to notch out the band it will have to be wider than I want.

The e-ring on right hand is a thought.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_ring-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:0c516045-9db6-4ce1-95c4-fe30a6c95fcaPost:1d91223b-9e6f-4fe9-be65-7c144cd7a285">Re: Ring dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone. I'll talk to a jeweler. I am just concerned that to notch out the band it will have to be wider than I want. The e-ring on right hand is a thought.
    Posted by sbradke[/QUOTE]

<div>I feel like I've seen pretty thin custom bands with notches. Maybe it's different if it's made that way versus them having to carve the notch into it? I hope so! Good luck! :)</div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    What about a criss-cross band?  I wanted a wedding band that I could wear alone, as I remember my Mom's engagement ring cutting me as she applied sunscreen or lotion when I was a kid, so I want to be able to just wear my wedding band when I have young kids.  But my ring is halo and doesn't allow a band to sit flush.

Here's my engagement ring and the wedding band - both S. Kashi - and you can see how they don't sit flush but they go well together.

That band was under $1000 (as was the setting for the engagement ring - we already had the diamond as it's a family heirloom).  On the under side, it fits perfectly and doesn't rub at all.

Something to consider!

They also have different styles that would work:

S. Kashi - Style D 206WG

S. Kashi - Style EN1724-BWG

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_ring-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:0c516045-9db6-4ce1-95c4-fe30a6c95fcaPost:eb762493-ada0-46d7-b307-73e45bb47849">Re: Ring dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about a criss-cross band? ... But my ring is halo and doesn't allow a band to sit flush. Here's my engagement ring and the wedding band - both S. Kashi - and you can see how they don't sit flush but they go well together. Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

Your rings look great together!!! I'll look at a criss cross band. Good idead.
  • Options
    I'll be wearing my band on my right hand b/c I've got a vintage ring that sits very low & is curved, so would need some kind of curved custom band- and I'd like to be able to wear my band alone if I choose to, so I'm opting for wearing them on different hands. Plus, I love my e-ring so much, and I feel like it deserves to be worn alone. Leaving on my left hand b/c that's the hand it was fitted for, and my ring fingers are different sizes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards