Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

average cost of catering?

obviously every caterer is different, but what do you guys think the average cost is for a caterer with everything (set up, bartenders, linens, china, glassware, etc.) Here is a little more info: its a saturday evening, the caterer I think I want has a package for $29/person that includes passed hor devoures and buffet. The venue allows the caterer to bartend while I provide the alcohol. 

The reason I'm asking is I'm trying to decide my venue but I'm on tiny bit of a budget so I want to make sure I'm spending money wisely. Thanks!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: average cost of catering?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    This varies tons. That price is on the low end for San Francisco.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It also completely depends on what food selections that is going to get you.  KWIM?  Do you have those details?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you're talking about fairly standard wedding food--a couple passed apps, a soup/salad course, 2 entrees and sides--I think that sounds like a decent price, including all the set up and table settings.  

If you want to know if you're spending your money wisely, though, the best thing for you to do would be to get quotes from other caterers in your area and price out what each one includes (also consider service/gratuity charges).  See if you can taste the food of your top choice(s).  Generally buying your own alcohol is the most budget-friendly way to host a bar, so that's good.  
  • Options
    ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I mostly am looking at buffet style and it ranged from $14.95 to $44.95 per person.  Includes app, to drink, to desserts.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There is no average cost of catering since there are so many different options. 

$29 PP sounds very reasonable for what you described above. If it's still not in your budget, you need to keep researching. There are always more cost efficient options, but you may not get as much food as you described above. 

For comparison, here's what we paid for adults: $49.95 for  2 passed apps, 2 app displays, salad, a plated dinner, unlimited soft drinks/coffee bar, and wedding cake  (also included standard linens, chairs, etc).  Alcohol (4 hour open bar) was an additional $20 per person. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards