April 2013 Weddings

NWR: Am I the one confused?

So I want your opinion ladies...

A friend emailed me and another friend of ours and said, lets do a potluck! We said ok.. so I offered that it could be at my house because I live next to the other person and the original one hadn't seen it yet.

So I get an e-mail today from her assuming that I am making the main dish and salad, and they can bring some bread/wine. I said wait, what? I don't want to spend all evening cooking for 6 people when I'm going to be gone all day. I had assumed it was a potluck (as that is what she said)- we would all bring a bigger pre-made dish that we could just eat or quickly heat up and then hang out. Not cook then. She said, well I'm not going to cart something all around town- the one who hosts provides the dinner. What?? It was your idea and it was a potluck, completely different from a dinner party!! So I told her I was canceling it.

Am I the one confused?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR: Am I the one confused?

• If it was her idea, she should be the one providing the main dish.

That being said, every potluck I've ever been to has been everyone bringing everything.  The host isn't in charge of the main course - people bring things like pasta with meatballs, stuffed shells, etc that can be used as a main dish.  The person in charge asks everyone what they're bringing so she can make sure to have a variety and not 50 bowls of potato salad.

I can see if you did this monthly and rotated houses.  Then it would make sense for each person to supply the main dish at some point.  But to be honest, why bother with a potluck if you only have 3 people going?  The purpose of a potluck is variety, and you won't get that with just 3 people. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • I agree- should be her figuring everything out, not me, just because I said, well it can be at my house. There will be 6 people there. So yes- small for a potluck, but like I said- that's what I agreed to, not a dinner party I was supposed to host.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, that sounds ridiculous. I think you were right to cancel. If your friend wants to have a dinner party she should host it herself. It sounds like she has no clue what a potluck really is.
  • I guess I can see it from both sides. If someone just threw the idea out there, and you took it upon yourself to 'host' it, I probably would assume you would be making more of a main dish type. BUT, I would also not just bring bread. I wouldn't expect you to roast a pig or anything, but I would definitely keep the conversation going with a "hey what type of food do you guys want to make so we can have a general theme" and what not.
  • I see where you are coming from, but if you hosted, it makes sense for you to be the one to provide the most difficult dish to cook, since you can just pull it out of the oven and put it on the table. However, that DOES NOT MEAN that you have to cook "all day." There are plenty of main dishes that taste amazing that you could make in less than an hour.

Now, that being said, although you should probably be the one to cook the main dish, they should definitely be bringing side dishes, not just bread or wine. Some type of rice, or veggies, green bean casserole, potato salad, etc.

I think it was silly for her to ask to have a potluck and then turn around and say she didn't want to lug food around town. If that was the case, why did she not just say "Hey, I'm hosting a potluck! Wanna come?" Haha. Some people are silly.

April 2013 - October Siggy Challenge: Venue

Save the Date - Music Poster Inspired STD's

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know! Well, the thing is I didn't agree to host it. I told her - ok you set it up and plan for it, you can just have it at my house- I didn't offer to host the thing. Because this was her idea, her thing. So that's why I was like, why am I supposed to cook? You bring a casserole or something! But yah. I canceled it, it's done. Ha!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah this is why I don't let other people have parties at my house. If she wants to have a party, let her be the host and deal with cleaning up afterwards. Even if its technically her party, I'd still feel obligated to play host instead of sitting around in my own home.
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards