Plus-Sized
Options

First Fitting on Sunday!

My wedding is only 39 days away!!  I am having my first fitting on Sunday and am so excited.  Is it common for a dress to not need any alterations?  I tried my dress on a couple weeks ago and I think it fits perfectly.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: First Fitting on Sunday!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_first-fitting-on-sunday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:591c88a2-6246-4d5c-a322-ad0ff1f0d217Post:62960be6-f628-4583-92c5-6f6dcdafff5f">First Fitting on Sunday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding is only 39 days away!!  I am having my first fitting on Sunday and am so excited.  Is it common for a dress to not need any alterations?  I tried my dress on a couple weeks ago and I think it fits perfectly.
    Posted by meofmanynames@gmail.com[/QUOTE]

Yay. Congratulations.

You're so lucky to not need any alterations. I think it's not THAT uncommon though. My dress needed so many :( but luckily DB was very cheap and well done.
  • Options
    I think it totally depends on your body shape whether or not it would be typical to need alterations.

I personally have HUGE hips and a tiny upper torso, so I pretty much always have to have the tops of my dresses taken in.
  • Options
    Yep. It just depends on your body shape, and the style of dress you selected.   Most dresses need some nip or tuck somewhere if you want it to fit like a glove.  For me, I had to have almost 6 inches taken in from the waist and about 4 from the hips.  I had to buy a larger size to accomodate my bust. 

I could have just let the waist and hips stay loose (it was a corset back, so I could have just tightened up the corset in those areas tighter).  But, I wanted the corset laces to look symetrical in the "V" shape (wider at the top, tighter at the bottom, with a gradual opening).  It depends on how picky you are.
  • Options
    My dress only needed a hem and the straps on the arm to be taken in just a hair. Other than that, the shape of the dress fit me like a glove which is both awesome and unexpected. I too am incredibly pear shaped (size 22/24 on bottom and 18/20 on top) so I was surprised that my fit and flare needed no alterations other than the hem and sleeves. The dress is actually an 18 so I think that makes the difference. It probably wouldn't be as flattering or curve hugging if I had bought a 20 or 22. So I'm actualyl incredibly pleased with the way the dress fits.

Like PP have said, it depends on your shape and the shape and style of the dress as to whether or not it needs alterations. But I think if it fits, don't mess with it. ;)
  • Options
    It definitely depends - if you think it fit well then you're probably right.  Mine also fit like a glove; the hem even ended up prefect with my heels.  They just added the bustle and sewed in cups so I could go bra-less more comfortably.
  • Options
    I won't be needing any alterations.  Woo.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The bust on mine is way to big! I'll bet my FI would love it if it fit! My dressmaker is sewing cups into it and taking it in. The length is good with my heels and the waist is snug but okay.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards