Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

This may be a dumb question, but....

I started to wear L'Oreal's True Match Powder Foundation.  It feels great on my skin, covers amazingly, BUT, when I look in the mirror, I look a little tanned, but in pictures I look white as a ghost!!!

Has anyone else had this problem?  I don't want to look like a fake and bake in person but a ghost in all my pictures, but I really do need makeup (I break out bad).

Any help would be great....

Re: This may be a dumb question, but....

• I use L'oreal true match as well -- I noticed that if I over-do it on the powder, I look too white.  What I'd suggest is just doing a light application of powder after you put on your foundation and blush and see if that helps.  The powder is really just to help the foundation to set, so you won't need a lot.

You might also try getting a bronzer or a warmer color to brush some highlights on to give your face the "sun kissed" look (which will keep you from looking less pale). If you're a fan of drug store cosmetics, Maybelline has a decent bronzer at a budget-friendly price to try.  http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod2830013

July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Oh -- I forgot another thing you can try.  I use the blush that matches my color tone (C2) but I also have a little bit darker blush with more warm tones in it, and it gives my face a little more life.  You can get inexpensive blush with most any drug store brand and if you just want to give it a one-time shot, you could save $$ by getting the "old" standards like the Revlon or Almay brands which are usually a little less (or Cover Girl).

• Do I sound dumb if I say that I don't wear foundation...that I just use the powder?  My pores clog easily with liquid makeup, so I use the powder because it doesn't do that.
  • I don't think you sound dumb at all.  Don't worry 'bout it!  Some people just prefer not to, and some people have complexions that either don't need it, or can't use it (like you said, it clogs your pores).  If your pores clog quickly, you might try the L'oreal true match "super blendable compact makeup"  -- it's like a powder/foundation in one and you can get it in your skin tone just like the other true match products.

Not to sound like a commercial for L'oreal -- I was trying to find a way to get MORE coverage with my makeup because I have a lot of uneven complexion and felt like the foundation + powder wasn't enough... but didn't want to cake the make up on.  So, I got the L'oreal Studio Secrets Professional  Secret No. 1 Magic Perfecting Base.  I'm also DIYing my wedding makeup so I needed something that offered more coverage.  I have found the last couple of days that my pores don't get as clogged with makeup, the makeup goes on easier, and it stays on longer.  AND I get more coverage.  Win-Win-Win.  Fairly inexpensive product too. 

I posted links for Ulta because I JUST stumbled across this place on Friday and was amazed at the selection of products from high-end drug store brands to regular drug-store brands, to designer cosmetics like Urban Decay and Smashbox.  Love, Love, Love that place now!  

Anyway... 

I bet other brides on this board have suggestions too, I didn't mean to monopolize the post.   Best of luck... :-) 
  • Is there sunscreen in that?  Because if there is sunscreen in the foundation... or if it contains mica... those are reflective ingredients, which would make your skin look ghostly in photos.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • You can definitely solve a lot of your problems by not using an SPF based or mineral based makeup (a lot them contain highly reflective materials) .
    I have extremely oily skin and have serious pore clogging issues.
    Try using a make-up base to solve the clogged pore issue-there are tons of different products available (I have found that Avon Magix works really well for me, plus it's very inexpensive and lasts well).  You should try a variety of them until you find one that works for you...places like Ulta, Sephora, department store make-up counters will have samples available to try on you at the store, and Avon and Mary Kay reps are usually pretty easy to find in order to get a sample from them for you to try.
    You should be able to layer a liquid foundation and then be able to set with a powder to get the best coverage.  You can also seek the advice of the employees of the various places listed above to help you find an appropriate foundation and powder.
    Powders often cause acne issues when used alone and in high volume which may be why you break out so badly.
    There are plenty of people out there who can give you excellent tips and advice on make-up at the Ultas, Sephoras, etc of the world.
    I personally use M.A.C. foundation and powder which makes my skin look flawless...all because I stopped at the M.A.C cosmetic counter at my local Macy's.  I had stopped at innumerable make-up counters, Ultas, Sephoras, etc and had been directed to lots of different items that were effective to varying degrees.
    Make-up really requires finding the perfect combo for your personal needs and it takes time.  Keep plugging away and you'll find exactly what you need.

"It's easy to halve the potato where there's love." - Irish Proverb
  • edited December 2010
    Is there sunscreen in that?  Because if there is sunscreen in the foundation... or if it contains mica... those are reflective ingredients, which would make your skin look ghostly in photos.

^^^^THAT^^^^

My friend is a make up artist at MAC and told me that little trick.  I'd consult with someone at MAC or at a department store and ask what products they recommend for photographs especially photos with a flash. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_this-may-dumb-question-but?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:4eb307d4-8a5b-42a6-8bca-1adaa7bdffb9Post:54f0e55a-0c6d-489b-be3b-2f06f2af4601">Re: This may be a dumb question, but....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is there sunscreen in that?  Because if there is sunscreen in the foundation... or if it contains mica... those are reflective ingredients, which would make your skin look ghostly in photos. ^^^^THAT^^^^ My friend is a make up artist at MAC and told me that little trick.  I'd consult with someone at MAC or at a department store and ask what products they recommend for photographs especially photos with a flash. 
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

This.  Or a Sephora.  Whichever is in your area. 
  • I am having the same problem. I've seen in pictures especially if i'm wearing a mineral makeup, that it does not even look like I have makeup on. I went to sephora and they suggest this :

HD Invisible Cover Foundation
    What it is:
    An oil-free medium-to-full-coverage liquid foundation that covers skin imperfections flawlessly while remaining invisible on-screen and in real life.

What it does:
    This foundation creates a soft-focus effect, which is designed to meet the coverage concerns of those in the spotlight. It leaves your complexion with such a flawless finish, it can withstand bright or harsh lighting.

It's a little pricey, but it might be what you need. Good luck!!

• Personally when I know im going to be photographed I use my smashbox hd makeup. It costs more but for special occasions such as a wedding or times you know the cameras are out it helps to keep you looking awesome in the pictures.
    Photobucket
    April 2012 April siggy challenge: How I relax image
    My Barely There Bio updated 7/12!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_this-may-dumb-question-but?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:4eb307d4-8a5b-42a6-8bca-1adaa7bdffb9Post:d778fa9d-2749-46f5-9bd2-3190a8ee7271">Re: This may be a dumb question, but....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am having the same problem. I've seen in pictures especially if i'm wearing a mineral makeup, that it does not even look like I have makeup on. I went to sephora and they suggest this : HD Invisible Cover Foundation What it is: An oil-free medium-to-full-coverage liquid foundation that covers skin imperfections flawlessly while remaining invisible on-screen and in real life. What it does: This foundation creates a soft-focus effect, which is designed to meet the coverage concerns of those in the spotlight. It leaves your complexion with such a flawless finish, it can withstand bright or harsh lighting. It's a little pricey, but it might be what you need. Good luck!!
    Posted by luvredstockins[/QUOTE]

Its by Make Up Forever...sorry forgot to add that!
  • wow, I never knew the sunscreen trick - I already have sunscreen in my moisturizer so don't really need it in foundation, thanks ladies!!!!
    September 2011 November Siggy Challenge - Ceremony Location imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards