Louisiana-New Orleans

How far in advance did you book.....?

Photographer, florist, cake baker, officiant.....I seems a little silly to call this far in advance.  I am around 8 months from the wedding and atm deep in the midst of trying to hurry up and pay off the venue ( we are kind of anal about that and I know as soon as I pay for it I will relax a little and be williing to spend more on other stuff than I would be atm).

For flowers I only need my bouquet, 2 bridesmaids bouquets, 3 bouts, and mother corsages.

I get so confused b/c it seems a lot of photographers book far in advance.

I already have the venue/catering, DJ, dress ordered and room block.

Right now I just already feel overwhelmed with the amount of money goign out the door even though I am still within budget.  I would rather wait to decide on those things when my dress, venue ect is paid off which should be about October.

Re: How far in advance did you book.....?

• alestelle504alestelle504 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I would book as much stuff as you can as soon as possible. I booked everything for my wedding 1.5 years before - 1 year before the wedding. Many photographers and venues are booked 1.5 years in advance. For most things, including flowers, venue, photography, etc. you can book them with only a small deposit.
  • wmh6wmh6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The photographer was one of the first things I booked along with the venue and catering.  I waited on the others until about 4 months before.  I guess it depends on if you have certain vendors in mind.  If so, you may want to go ahead and look into it before they book up.  As PP said, most will hold the date with a deposit.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DenyseSDenyseS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I guess I am going to go ahead on get onto finding a photographer.  I've been looking but it is so hard to find someone that is not 3000 and up but is still nice. 

The other stuff I am not really picky on. I'm just afraid I am going to be tempted to cheap out if I make all the decisions now lol, then get closer and realize  I really could have afforded better.  I guess I am having a bit of a sticker shock right now.

• phunluvin82phunluvin82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that you could potentially wait a while for a lot of the things you listed as there tend to be a lot of options here in the city.  BUT, if you want to snatch up the vendors that are the best value for the $$ and/or highly rated in reviews and such, then the sooner the better. 

IMO, the next priority should be photographer.  If you wait on that, you may start researching and find portfolios that you love only to find that the photogs most in demand are all snatched up already.  To me, you'll have the pics forever and it's important to get someone good.  We booked ours about 10 months out and it was in the nick of time as someone else inquired the day after us for our same wedding date.

I think for the other things you mentioned...you could put it off a little longer, but I would get a photographer ASAP. 
  • meganb1977meganb1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agree with booking photographer ASAP at this point.  But there are so many options that you can find someone great whose schedule is open on your date!
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • wmh6wmh6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_far-advance-did-book?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:84Discussion:6f946b34-7b12-43d0-bec2-610c509822dfPost:d1177845-0595-498b-9e98-368f3f7ec238">Re: How far in advance did you book.....?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess I am going to go ahead on get onto finding a photographer.  I've been looking but it is so hard to find someone that is not 3000 and up but is still nice. 
    Posted by DenyseS[/QUOTE]

We used Dark Roux Photography.  They were a little less expensive than others that we really liked, and we ended up loving them!  Here is their blog post from our wedding if you would like to check them out...

<a href="http://darkroux.com/?p=1413">http://darkroux.com/?p=1413</a>

There are quite a few less expensive photographers with excellent work that have been suggested on this board.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm also using Dark Roux for my May 2012 wedding - I would say they're around $2K and have been very highly suggested. They have a great style - check out their blog and Facebook. I'd go ahead and book all your major vendors - NOLA has a good bit of competition between brides for "preferred" vendors. Don't miss out on just making the booking bc you're concerned about paying off the venue now would be my advice.
  • phunluvin82phunluvin82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_far-advance-did-book?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:84Discussion:6f946b34-7b12-43d0-bec2-610c509822dfPost:1b0dd3e5-3d2b-40ae-9d84-87c5912dfefe">Re: How far in advance did you book.....?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How far in advance did you book.....? : We used Dark Roux Photography.  They were a little less expensive than others that we really liked, and we ended up loving them!  Here is their blog post from our wedding if you would like to check them out... <a href="http://darkroux.com/?p=1413" rel='nofollow'>http://darkroux.com/?p=1413</a> <strong>There are quite a few less expensive photographers with excellent work that have been suggested on this board.
    </strong>Posted by wmh6[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree...if you look back through some older posts on this board, there are lots of photographers that have been recommended with reasonable prices.  I think 3000 is not outrageous for a fantastic photographer, but is definitely on the high end.  We paid 2500, and I felt that even that was on the high end...but we decided it was worth it b/c we really liked his work a lot.
  • DenyseSDenyseS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies. I contacted my top two choices for photographers and both are available so I guess I will see what the FI thinks and make a decision.
  • Kate504Kate504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My venue/caterer and photographer I had booked over a year out. DJ and videographer I just booked. I went to look at Swiss for cakes and they told me to come back about 4 or so months out. I had my brass band for a second line, church and florist over a year out as well.

I'm in school and can only do things at certain times so I had to book when my schdule would allow.

I'm doing room blocks now.

Everything is pretty much done except accessories and such.

try Michael Caswell for a photographer my friend was able to get him at the last minute and he does good work
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• MDehmlowMDehmlow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I tried doing photography 11 months before our wedding, and a lot of the most well known photographers were booked already for our Aprl date. We found one we love, but it was a little nerve wracking at first when I got three nos! So would do that ASAP. My planner also recommended doing transportation ASAP.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_far-advance-did-book?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:84Discussion:6f946b34-7b12-43d0-bec2-610c509822dfPost:0cd497bd-3945-4552-a072-c38882fb7ae9">Re: How far in advance did you book.....?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My venue/caterer and photographer I had booked over a year out. DJ and videographer I just booked. I went to look at Swiss for cakes and they told me to come back about 4 or so months out. I had my brass band for a second line, church and florist over a year out as well. I'm in school and can only do things at certain times so I had to book when my schdule would allow. I'm doing room blocks now. Everything is pretty much done except accessories and such. try Michael Caswell for a photographer my friend was able to get him at the last minute and he does good work
    Posted by Kate504[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat.  I'm in grad school, so I'm constantly squeezing wedding stuff in when I can. 

FH and I looked at Southern Oaks about 1.5 years before the wedding, and when we called back two weeks later, they been booked on our day, which kind of spooked us.  So between a year and a year-and-a-half out, we booked the stuff that was most important to us: the reception, the photographer, our church.  I went through Katrina, so pictures were always the one thing I was going to splurge on, and I wanted to make sure, no matter my price range for anything, I got my first choice for stuff.

I'd definitely start looking for the stuff that's important to you now.  That way you won't have to settle later on.  Good luck!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • NolaBride2012NolaBride2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_far-advance-did-book?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:84Discussion:6f946b34-7b12-43d0-bec2-610c509822dfPost:d1177845-0595-498b-9e98-368f3f7ec238">Re: How far in advance did you book.....?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess I am going to go ahead on get onto finding a photographer.  I've been looking but it is so hard to find someone that is not 3000 and up but is still nice.  The other stuff I am not really picky on. I'm just afraid I am going to be tempted to cheap out if I make all the decisions now lol, then get closer and realize  I really could have afforded better.  I guess I am having a bit of a sticker shock right now.
    Posted by DenyseS[/QUOTE]

Check out twirl photography! Jennifer is amazing! Her packages start at 2800, I think, but that includes an album & engagement pictures (which a lot of the other "$3000" photogs dont)
  • edited December 2011
    I read something I liked on here last week about brenda sison photography. I gave the info to my fiance cause I passed that responsibility on to him, hehe. He's the photo buff anyway. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Hartley0721Hartley0721 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Photographers and venues should be the first to book! flower arrangements in my cousins wedding were ordered aroung 6- 5 months before the wedding. Entertainment for the guests during the reception like photobooths (becomming quite popular because they are double for wedding favor and entertainment) should be booked more advanced now. Every wedding I go to can save money on extra party favors. The best one that I have seen thus far was magazine photobooth. Its rather new and locally owned and prices are fair with great packages. http://photos.magazinephotobooth.com/

Ardentstudios is a great photographer I highly recommend

For a DJ in between the bands (if you are getting one), I recommend Umbrellabeats based in Baton rouge but they come to N.O. all the time 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards