Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

anyone do the "first look" and did you have any reservations about it?

I have said from day one that I don't want to see my FI before the ceremony, but now that we are 2 months away, I am re-thinking this.  I think that it would make our lives so much easier if we saw eachother before, and would give us so much more time to mingle with guests during cocktail hour instead of doing pictures (we are having ceremony & reception at one location).  But, I feel like that moment when FI sees me at the other end of the aisle for the first time is so special! 

Did anyone have the same feelings?  What did you end up doing and how do you feel about your decision?

BTW, never posted on this board, I'm usually on the Chicago boards.

TIA girls :)

Re: anyone do the "first look" and did you have any reservations about it?

• I want to do them but I don't think we will be able to. We are getting married @ 11 in the morning and I really don't want to be rushed to do them so early in the morning. I'm kinda bummed out about it because I know that it will help my nerves.
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • We never considered NOT doing a first look.  We wanted a sunset ceremony, which meant pictures had to happen beforehand.  It was great, we got a chance to be giggly and stupid about the first sight of each other without being distracted from the ceremony.  We got an open-top double-decker bus and took the WP around for some photos, and generally had a lot of fun.  Plus, it allowed us to go straight from the ceremony into the reception, and meant that we were both really relaxed for the whole thing instead of artificially building up nerves by being separated.

I think the moment when he sees you at the end of the aisle will be special, and the moment he first sees you in your dress will be special, whether they occur at the same time or separately. 

In case you can't tell, I'm a big ol' fan of pre-ceremony pictures.  I wouldn't have done it any other way.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • my FI and photographer convinced me to do the "first look" and pictures before our ceremony.  i had never considered doing this because i wanted "the moment" to be special.  but they convinced me that it will still be special and this way we will be able to enjoy more of our reception.  our photographer is going to orchestrate the "first look" and he and his assistant will be set to get pictures of both of our reactions!
    Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • We never considered following this tradition at all.  It was so much easier not to.  We woke up together that morning and ate breakfast together.  We reserved the lodge in the park to get dressed in.  We changed our actual clothing in the bathrooms and kitchen, but we applied make up, put shoes on, pinned on boutonnieres, etc. all out in the open in the main room.  We didn't even do a "first look", seemed unnecessary to us.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • mch07cmch07c member
    First Comment
    We are doing a first look. My FI didn't want to, but I told him it would calm our nerves a little bit and this way we can get pictures done before the ceremony. My photographer will still get great pictures and it will still be a special moment.
    Anniversary
  • We did first look photos and while I had no reservations, surprisingly, my now husband did. 

I would highly recommend you do it, but make sure it's just the two of you.  Our first look was like a zoo!  So many people everywhere.  I even whispered to him that I wish it was just the two of us.  Don't shy away from it!
  • We aren't doing them.  We don't want to, but that's our personal choice.   This is really just that a personal choice.  How do you both feel about the idea?  What do you think you will regret if do it?  If you don't do it?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am also considering but not sure how I feel yet.  We are both in our 40s and have been together almost 19 years (engaged 16 years).  Since we are older we are skipping on some tradions such as the bouquet & garter toss since most of our friends are already married but I feel like that one first moment, first look might be extra special if it is share by just the bride and groom.
    Good Luck and Congrats!!
  • we're going to do the pre-ceremony pictures, because we're also getting married out our reception venue,and the ceremony isn't until 5:30... want to have some daylight for pictures!  We'll do our photos first, and then have the WP, parents and grandparents join us.  I think it will still be incredible... I'll be shocked just to see FI in a suit! lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 62 Made the cut!
    image 58 Are ready to fly with us image 4 Are missing out! image As of August 14th, everyone has finally made up their minds!
  • edited July 2010
    I will not be doing a first look.  I know that it is the new trend now, to have photos before hand.  I think in some ways I am a little old fashioned when it comes to my relationships. 

Our culture is all about instant gratification - and I just think that waiting will make the walk down the isle that much better and means more to me. 

I've heard so may people say they will have more time with their families if they get their photos done before hand.  But I know that I will want a little alone time with my brand new husband, and sometimes I don't like to share him.  Photos afterword will give us the opportunity to enjoy each other a little bit before we go dance the night away with all our family and friends.

Before the wedding we will be doing the girls and the boy seperate so that they are out of the way and later it is all just about us!
  • logistically, it won't work for us to not see each other at all (there's not really a place for us to hide at the venue without being in a bathroom stall), but we're going to still have a special "first look" moment at the hotel before hand. we're doing all of our "formal" portraits prior to the ceremony, at a cool funky hotel we like, so we'll be getting ready in different rooms and then our photographer wants to have an official moment for us to see each other. i've seen photos done like this and they're usually really cute, and preserve that moment that you want. plus, that way, by the time you get to the ceremony, you're not QUITE so nervous about it all since you get to hold your honey's hand in the car on the way over.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker White Knot

• not doing it... I want to wait until I'm walking down the aisle.  We're also not spending the previous night together... I'm going to spend it at my parents house, and his parents have rented the house next door.  We're going to attempt to avoid each other all day, which might not work, but could be kinda fun.  I'll do photos with my girls and my family, and he'll do that with his, then we'll see each other at the ceremony and do the rest of the photos after.  I want to do it the traditional way.
  • I highly suggest doing a private reveal/first look as well if anyone is on the fence. It was such a tender moment between us and we were both crying. Both the photographer and videographer caught the moment and it took absolutely nothing away from my walk down the aisle, if anything it helped us both feel more comfortable and relaxed. Plus, once I got down the aisle to him, I burst into tears again (happy tears of course!)
  • We're doing first look. Our wedding is a DW so EVERYONE is traveling. We want to max out our time with everyone, so we figured the easiest way to do that would be to do first look. When I suggested it to FI, he was really excited about the idea. I'm really looking forward to that moment/those pictures - maybe more than anything else aside from "I do."

It's really just a personal preference. No matter whether he sees you in your dress for the first time at the top of the aisle or before the ceremony, it'll be perfect.
    tiffandshel.tumblr.com
    www.tiffandshel.com/wedding

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • Thanks everyone for your input!  I realize it's a personal decision - and I think we've decided that we will do the first look.  I get excited now everytime I think about it :)
  • I have a friend who did this.  She was originally very upset with the idea.  She now says she wouldn't have changed it for the world.

We are going to do this also.  My fiance isn't too wild about the idea, but I'm with a couple other of you in the opinion that I believe it will calm our nerves a bit.  I don't want tears  streaming down my face while I walk down the aisle!  And I think a "first look" will help :)
  • We sent everyone off to start photos without us; then we met in the ceremony spot, just the two of us, for about 15 minutes.
    It was wonderful! We sat in the front row and talked about the craziness of the morning. It was the most relaxing moment of the day. 
    And you know, It didn't take a thing away from "the moment" down the aisle. He still looked just as happy as I had hoped (moreso probably, he was pretty nervous before our first look) and I still felt everything I thought I might.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards