Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Receiving Line

For those of you who have already had your wedding....

Who was included in your receiving line, how many guests did you greet and how long did it take?

Just trying to get the timing right for my wedding. Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Receiving Line

• Options
    We didn't do a receiving line, but if you do one, I'd probably just have you and FI. I've had to stand in a receiving line as a BM and it was awkward because I didn't know a majority of the guests, plus it took forever. The two people guests really want to greet are you and FI anyway. I've been in receiving lines that took 30 min and some that took well over an hour.

How many guests are you anticipating?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    We had an informal receiving line-our ceremony was outdoors, so after the recessional we just stopped and as the guests walked out towards cocktail hour, we greeted all of them. It was just H & I-please don't ask your WP to be apart of it!

We had 90 guests, it took less than 10 minutes. We just hugged/kissed everyone, said a couple words and they moved on. It helped that there were cocktail waiting on the other side :)
  • Options
    It was us and our parents.  I have no idea how long it took but we were a part of the buffet line, so while people were waiting for food, we got to chat with them.  We had a giant wedding one million years ago, but as I recall the line moved fairly quickly.
  • Options
    I havent had my wedding yet but in March I went to a friend of FI's wedding with FI & they did a receiving line. They had the entire bridal party (6 or 7 on each side), there siblings, their siblings spouses, their parents & since their parents were divorced and remarried their step parents & their grand parents as well.

It was SO awkward, I didnt know ANYONE there except the bride and groom whom I only had met once before. I would have prefered just the bride & groom and their parents. I agree with PP's, stick with just you and your H, and if you really wanted parents as well. 

522805_10151186959893168_80368830_n_zps80e4c057
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all the responses!

We are planning on 150 guests. I was thinking about having just FI and I, and my parents and his parents. Not the whole wedding party!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We had 120 people and greeted people during cocktail hour, about 45-60 minutes.  There were 6 of us - me and my H, my parents, his parents.
  • Options
    We didn't do a receiving line. With my videographer and photographer being there for a short amount of time, we needed to get the traditional stuff out of the way. While my DH was dancing with his mother, I mingled throughout the reception and vice versa. The night passes by so fast, I didn't want to miss out on anything with adding something extra in there.
    TTC #1 since June 2012
  • Options
    Our ceremony and reception were at the same site, so immediately after the ceremony we stood at the doors to our reception and welcomed people on in.  It took less than 20 minutes for 150 people, and we had just the two of us.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards