Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Games/activities for reception

Hi guys, I am not having dancing at my wedding but the reception is in a hotel where there are a couple of different rooms for guests to go in and out of throughout the evening... and we are having a band play with everyone sitting at tables in one of the rooms. I am concerned that the evening might get tedious if people are left with nothing to do but talk and mingle, so I wanted to know some ideas that work really well at weddings for guests to do. Nothing too crazy/corny, but the type of thing where people say, "hey, did you go do that in room x yet?"
Any ideas for games or activities would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Games/activities for reception

• Options

I've never heard of something like this, but it sounds interesting.  I will be checking back to see what others say.  Whatever it is, it won't be able to be anything that is too "active" unless people change clothes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My FSIL did a Questionaire at her wedding. Whoever had the most questions answered correctly about her and her now husband won a prize. Questions like How did we meet? Where was our fist date? What is the nickname FI gave me? Favorite colors...etc..
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry it doesnt have anything to do with different rooms, but still kinda a fun idea..
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think playing games at a reception is a good idea.
  • Options
    You might have each room decorated differently, maybe with displays of pictures of the two of you around.  But unless games are really a big part of your lives (he's a chess champion, you met playing Settlers of Catan, you play Scrabble every weekend, etc.), it would be a bit out of place to have games.  I didn't have any dancing at my wedding, I just put on background music and the guests mingled, ate and drank.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options

If it's in your budget, you could set up a photobooth in one room, and maybe have people place their pics in a book where they can write you guys some well wishes.  I know it's not really a game, but it might be fun for your guests.  If there is a particular game that you both love, you could set it up on several tables in one room, so lots of rounds could be going. 

I think people will mingle and have a good time regardless, but I completely understand wanting to give your party a little extra kick.

Good Luck!

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ditto retread.  Presumably your guests are all adults who know how to chat and mingle at a gathering.  Putting out games, especially ice breaker things or trivia about the bride and groom (which is, IMO, completely AW-ish on a day that is already all about the B&G), are just not necessary.

Can I ask why you're going to the expense of a band playing and then discouraging dancing?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    This goes along with the photo idea someone else suggested, but at my reception I'm having a "video diary booth" room. And I'm setting up just a regular video camera on a tripod and throughout the evening people can go in and give me wedding advice, best wishes, etc. This will be awesome to watch the day after the wedding and years after!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    While I am not at all disparaging a photo booth or a video diary booth, please realize that both of these activities take at the most 5 minutes for the couple.  In a 4 hour reception, that leaves a lot of time to fill. 

That's why dancing is such a suitable activity.  It's not ONE 5 minute dance and then you're faced with what to do now.  It's as often or as little as one wants to participate. In addition, a photo booth or video diary booth is only usable by one couple at a time.  A dance floor can accommodate scores, if not a hundred or more, people at a time.

Again, I don't think that you necessarily NEED to have dancing.  But a non-dancing reception will probably end up shorter for many guests.  They will chat and mingle and visit and catch up.  And they'll have a lovely time.  And then when they've visited with everyone they want to, they'll head out.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Why no dancing??  Why get a band if there will be no dancing?  I find it hard to believe that everyone will sit or stand still the whole night if a band is present.

See if there is access to a projection screen or tv and set up a wii

Anniversary
  • Options
    What kind of band is it? I think it's odd that you're having a band but no dancing. I think your reception is likely to be shorter because people will eat, mingle, then leave sooner without dancing. I have never been to a wedding with "activities" other than a photo booth, which takes about 30 seconds.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards