Catholic Weddings

engaged encounter for non catholics?

hi girls.  here's the dillio:

my family is lutheran and my mom got some materials about engaged encounter.  apparently a group from EE came to her lutheran church to speak about it.   i'm just wondering what's actually on the agenda?  the website is pretty sparse; when i called the registrar assured me it is nondenominational but i'm not so sure....the only links on our regional website take you to NFP articles.

no offense to catholics!  i just want to make sure that if we block off an entire weekend, it's something that will truly benefit us.  we don't need it as any kind of requirement for our wedding, we actually just want to do some marriage prep with a spiritual focus.  maybe there are other options besides EE that you ladies might know?  or maybe EE will be great after all?  i'm trusting your opinions!

anybody?
thanks!  and congratulations ladies!

Re: engaged encounter for non catholics?

• agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    NFP isn't just for Catholics.
  • edited December 2011
    I think that there are non-Catholic versions of Engaged Encounter, just like there are non-Catholic versions of the FOCCUS assessment. They are just more rare than the Catholic ones. Some poking around online revealed, at a minimum, a Methodist-sponsored Engaged Encounter in Colorado.

http://colorado.encounter.org/
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    thanks biblio,

i'll call them and get the scoop.  i appreciate you taking the time and posting the link!

if anybody else has been to an EE would love your input before i book a weekend.

thanks all-
  • MissAngelMissAngel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My EE weekend was non-denomational, although it was on a Catholic campus.  There may have been 1 part where we go to the church and pray with each other (as a couple).  We also did not talk about NFP, although I was required to take that class in my diocese.  NFP is also not a strictly Catholic thing.  It's how your body works and if you want to get pregnant you would do it that way also.

There were many interfaith couples at my EE weekend and no one was openly offended.  If you go with an open heart and mind, I thought it was a good experience.
  • edited December 2011
    The one We attended had a big group of people from all religions The only "religious" thing we did was pray.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My ILs participate in both EE and Married Encounter for their Presbyterian church.  I think it's a great thing to do Christian pre-marriage counseling because it is so true that sometimes couples avoid talking about the difficult stuff while they're courting.  It's easy to dwell in the pleasant, but unfortunately, at some point or other, life gets rough, and it's better to talk about it (the actual tough stuff AND how you plan on dealing with it) before you're married than after.
  • edited December 2011
    that's super helpful you guys, thank you very much.

we just set our date, 4/28/12, so i'm sure i will have other questions to post, there's a lot to learn and figure out!

cheers ladies!
  • edited December 2011
    Our EE Weekend was sponsored by the Catholic Church, but the did reinterate several times throughout the weekend that while some things were specific to the Catholic faith, they were talking about Christian marriage in general. There were all kinds of faiths present in our EE Weekend. One guy was even Muslim.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards