New Jersey - South

Thoughts on a memorial day weekend wedding down the shore

Hi everyone,
So I still have quite a bit of time to decide, but I'm wondering if you think it would be a bad idea to do our wedding on Memorial Day weekend in Wildwood and Cape May.  We're thinking of doing the church ceremony in Wildwood in the afternoon and then the reception in Cape May.  Most of our friends and family live around the Philly/Deptford/Cherry Hill area, and probably only about 20 of them normally go down the shore that weekend.  I'm worried that the rest of our guests will be mad if they get stuck in shore traffic and I feel bad because room rates will be jacked up due to the holiday weekend.  But on the other hand,  if I have the wedding at home on memorial day weekend I think the ones that normally go down the shore will be mad that they had to stay home for the wedding.  My FI and I are both in school and will both be starting new jobs soon after, so that weekend is pretty much the only one that makes sense for our wedding.  Do you guys think it will be too hectic for to have our wedding down the shore  during that time?  I appreciate any opinions, thanks!

Re: Thoughts on a memorial day weekend wedding down the shore

• I would pick the date that works best for you.  That being said, there most likely will be a lot of traffic.  My friend had her wedding down the shore on a Saturday in August and a lot of people were late because they were stuck in traffic.  So that is definitely a possibility.  Also, I would check with the hotels because most of them in the Cape May/Wildwood towns have a 2 night minimum.  If most guests are coming for the whole weekend, that's not a big deal but it might turn some people off that just want to come for one night.
  • Don't let traffic ruin your special day. Your guest will be fine, and hopefully understanding. Perhaps you can set up a time frame that everyone travels down, when traffic is lighter, like the night before.
  • Pick the date you and your FI want.  And let guests know there may be traffic and that they're welcome to come a day early and explore the area before the wedding.  We did our wedding labor day weekend in atlantic city (we're from mays landing) and it was no problem!  We made it clear in the invite there may be traffic and gave them back roads to take if they encountered traffic.  Holiday weekends also can lead to discounts if you do it on an off day, so you can save money as well!
    At sea, heading to Lisbon, Portugal Anniversary
  • You guys need to do the day that works best for you.  We're doing our wedding on Labor Day weekend of this year because as a full time student it was the only time I knew I wouldn't be in school.  Plus, we could only afford to book at our venue if we did it on a Sunday, so by booking the Sunday of Labor Day weekend we got a cheaper rate, but it's almost like a Saturday night wedding b/c all our guests have off the next day.  I'm getting married in Pt. Pleasant, so I understand your concerns about shore traffic.  Just make sure you alot enough time before ceremony and reception so people can travel.  And to be considerate to your guests, look around for a hotel that can give you the best rate for your wedding day and doesn't require a 2 night minimum so that way they can plan their travels accordingly.   

If they are your friends and family, they will put up with the inconvenience of traffic to spend the day with you.     
    Anniversary Visit JerseyShore.Weddings.com
  • Don't do it! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards