New York-Long Island

Searching for new ideas...

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone help me with some ideas?  My FI's cousin got married in June and my brother and sister-in-law in September.  My date is in May and I'm looking for some new ideas that both sides of our families won't have just seen.

Any help/ideas anyone has would be greatly appreciated.  I've been wracking my brains for weeks and just keep coming up with things I've recently seen!

Thanks, XOXO

Re: Searching for new ideas...

• edited December 2011
    Hello,  I'm getting married in May too!  What's your date and where's your reception being held? 

As far as ideas, do you mean extras to include during the reception?  What have you already ruled out?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My date is May 8th, 2011... Mother's Day.  The original date was supposed to be 4.24.11 (because I love the number 4) but that was Easter, so we picked a different date.  The reception is at the Swan Club where my parents go married 40 years ago! 

Yes, I mean extras for any aspect of the wedding.  Nothing has been completely ruled out, just don't want to copy anything exactly the way they did it.  Both weddings were great, but I am looking to put my own touches on the day.
  • nicole1125nicole1125 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not trying to butt in, but Im a May bride also!! :) It will be here before we know it!
  • edited December 2011
    nicole - I know right!  It's going crazy fast.  Where are u getting married?

rascar - What about a photo booth?  They're very trendy right now.  I've been at 2 weddings so far that have had one and everyone always gets a kick out of it.  I'm having one as well.  You could also do a candy bar.  At my Aunt's recent wedding she had a picture of a tree framed and had each of her guests thumbprint a leaf and sign their name as part of her guest book.  Or if your looking for something to incorporate into your ceremony my reverened was explaining to FI and I something called a wine ceremony (kind of like the meaning of a unity candle but with wine), which I've never seen before.  Also, what's your theme?  That may help with ideas.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • nicole1125nicole1125 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Fox Hollow, in Woodbury...you??

I love all thoes ideas, I went to a wedding that had both the photo booth and the candy bar Loved it! The booth was sooo much fun and I liked how we got to keep them and take them home.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at Chateau La Mer.  I think one of my cleints bartends at Fox Hollow on the weekends.  But yea the photo booth is good because it's a fun time for everyone and doubles as a favor.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in early June.  I'm actually doing the candy bar becuase I'm not doing a viennesse hour(it just wasn't in the budge).  Having even begun to attempt on how i'm going to do it though!
    I thought about the photo booth also-but it just seemed too bar-mitzvah-y to me.  But i've never been to a wedding thats had one-so it might be a neat idea!
  • edited December 2011
    As every Long Islander on the Knot knows we tend to definitely go more over the top on our weddings than people in other parts of the country, so it can be hard to stand out. I am making my wedding stand out with the food we choose.

Instead of the over the top cocktail hour followed by the sit down (beef, chicken or fish). I am doing a simpler cocktail hour (with fun passed hors d'oeuvres) instead of doing the carving stations, pasta bars etc etc. Instead, I am moving the stations to dinner and having a station wedding (not buffet!) 

We are having one station serve and/or have servers pass....
    sliders w/ sweet potato fries in Kraft Bags
    lobster mac and cheese in martini glasses
    hazelnut and pear salads 
    butternut squash soup served in mini pumpkins

The 2nd station will have...
    veggie pad thai in chinese takeout boxes
    assorted sushi in individual bento boxes
    chicken and shitake dumplings in individual bamboo steams

The 3rd station will have
    brick oven pizza
    sweet potato ravioli 
    short ribs over risotto in mini mason jars

I figured its all food everyone loves but has interesting and fun vessels. I think this definitely different and I love the cocktail hour in every wedding because it's the most fun... so why not extend it to the whole wedding? Also, we are not doing assigned seating. It will be more of a mingling atmosphere with smaller cocktail sized tables. I don't want people collecting all their food and then sitting down. I want people to eat, mingle, dance, eat more, mingle again etc...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards