Iowa-Des Moines

home workout suggestions

I am looking for suggestions for home work out programs.  I refuse to set foot in a gym, I get so self conscious around all the fit people.  Im not getting married until 7/14/12 but I have 20 lbs I HAVE to loose but would like to push that closer to 40 lbs.  Since the dress I am in love with is strapless and has a lower back, I need serious help with my flapper arms and back/bra line fat. 

I've tried PX90, but I'm just not in good enough shape yet to even go there.  Any thoughts and/or ideas?

Re: home workout suggestions

• edited December 2011
    I was going to suggest P90X....I know a lot of people that have successfully done it that didn't think they could do it.  Otherwise, Jillian Michael's "Shred it"...I've also heard good things about this!
  • edited December 2011
    Not all people at the gym are fit!  ;)  Take a look at some and I bet you could find one that works for you where you feel comfortable.  There are also women's only gyms.   

Jillian's 30 Minute Shred is good.  If you aren't in great shape a good starter would be a Walk Away the Pounds or something like that.  I have a Jackie Warner one that I like as well.  Plus, with spring just around the corner you can go for walk outside and then follow-up with a toning DVD.

Good luck!! 
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I have been doing the EA Sports Active (for the PlayStation 3) now for about a month and I really like it. I'm leaning more towards losing 10-15 pounds and I haven't seen much results yet in my body, just more in my endurance. The EA Sports Active used to cost $100 but I bought it on sale for $60. Then my fiance even saw it cheaper for $50. I would suggest it because it's a lot of fun and I feel like it's going to work... I just don't think I've been doing it long enough yet.
  • edited December 2011
    I also feel awkward in gyms, but I joined one anyways, and to my surprise I do not feel the least bit self-conscious. I try to go at weird hours (late at night or during the day except not during lunch hours) and if I do, then I am usually the only one there! There is also a Wedding DVD I want to say it's Jillian Michaels? and I think it's Women's Health or something.. I am not positive, but anyways - it has good reviews on Amazon... I bought it but it got lost when we moved last month so I haven't tried it yet - lol. Also, my dad always says that it's more what you put in than what you put out. So while exercing defintely works, it's also important to look at what you're eating. I wish you the best of luck - I'm totally there with ya! :)
  • ToBeMrs2011ToBeMrs2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a huge "at home" workout person, mostly because I cannot afford the expense of a gym membership.  There are a TON of things that you can do!  

The best thing is that you have time on your side.  A lot of research has shown that slow steady weight lost is long lasting!  I think the trick is to find things that interest you.  

There are a lot of affordable DVDs that you can pick up at Wal-mart or Target...or even online at Amazon.  Jillian Michaels & Biggest Loser DVDs are great, as other people have mentioned.  But I would definitely suggest and you go back to P90X, once a week or once every two weeks as a challenge for yourself.  I bet you would be amazed at the progress you make! 

Also, think about things you can do just around your house.  I have stairs so I will do circuits....i.e. up & down stairs 5 times, 10 push-ups (whether you have to do them on your knees or against a wall to start), 25 jumping jacks, then start the circuit all over again; repeat 3 - 4 times.  

Another good cardio tool for at home is a jump rope.  For strength training, just a few hand weights can get you going.  

There are a number of online resources too.  Check out SparkPeople.com and EatCleanDiet.com,  both are awesome & free! I use both of these sites several times a week for info & recipes.  The more I  have read & researched over the years, the more I learn & retain...and try new things to keep things interesting.  

Another thought, you could pick up a fitness magazine (Self, Fitness, Women's Health, etc).  Many of those have monthly diet & exercise plans to give you an idea of what to do if you are feeling lost.  

And just remember not to be too hard on yourself.  I know there are some days that you probably feel like you'll never get to where you want to be (trust me, I've been there & still have my days) but take each day as it comes.  If you fall off the bandwagon with one meal...don't beat yourself up, you can get back on track with your next one!  

I hope that helps! If you have any questions or anything, feel free to send me a message!  Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I really like my Walk away the Pounds one,  you walk 3 miles doing it and it's reallly easy! I do that one a lot and I have Jillian Micheals 30 day shred and target problem area ones that I like too, but they're harder than the walking one!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Wow ToBeMrs2011 !  Very helpful information.

I couldn't agree with you more about the eating part.  I have been blessed to be on the very thin side without needing to work out.  But, I also don't eat a lot of junk food and VERY rarely will eat fast food.  I have seen this as a problem area with some of my friends.  Make a promise to yourself to eat healthy! 

Even try parking at the end of your parking lot at work to get a few extra steps in every day...!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards